DFMEA (Design Failure Mode and Effect Analysis) is the application of the Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA) method specifically to product/service design.
There are 11 steps to complete DFMEA:
1. Design Review – Use the product/service design drawings or documents to identify each component and its relation with other components of product/service
2. Brainstorm potential failure modes
3. List potential failure modes
4. List potential effects of failure modes
5. Assign the severity ranking which should be based on consequences of failure (1 to 10) (Threat to human life, accident or safety issue is scored 10)
6. Assign the occurance ranking (1 to 10)
7. Assign detection ranking based on the chance of detection prior to failure (1 to 10) (Easy for detection gets less score – 1, difficult to
detect should be assigend higher score)
8. Calculate the SOD (Severity x Occurrence x Detection) number or risk priority number (RPN)
9. Develop action plan to reduce vital RPNs (Above set baseline)
10. Implement the improvements identified
11. Calculate RPN again based on improvements. Do mistake proofing.