Here are 7 progressive questions to help plan a project.
1) What decisions must be made?
2) What do you need to know to make each decision?
3) What form of visual will provide the information?
4) What kind of tool will generate the visual?
5) What kind of data is needed for the tool?
6) Where can the required data be found?
7) What is the plan to get the data?
To implement, just reverse the order (but from an execution point-of-view). Follow this 14 step process and you will indirectly apply many of the Six Sigma principles.