Campus Services Strategic Project Manager
Campus Services is a multi-department organization within Harvard's Central Administration managing a wide-range of non-academic services supporting the University community. Our varying set of business lines employ a diverse workforce of more than 1,600 employees, 66% of whom are front-line service and trades workers. The twelve operating units of Campus Services represent an annual operating budget of more than $500M, with a 5-year capital plan of $519M. We provide stewardship, strategies, and services in support of the University's mission of teaching and research.
This position will report to the Vice President for Campus Services, collaborating with Campus Services senior leaders to engage in business process redesign to enable greater efficiency and productivity. This position will be responsible for partnering with functional business areas to develop and execute near- and long-term strategies for enterprise-wide operational excellence. The role involves a combination of identifying, prioritizing, and driving near-term process improvements and large-scale process re-engineering initiatives. The leader will work with business unit leaders and matrixed team members to facilitate and drive business transformation and business process re-engineering initiatives in the near term and guide and enable continuous operational improvement for the long term. This work will involve business process re-engineering with the goal of improving service outcomes and the creation of data-driven performance metrics.
- Works with business units on end-to-end business process re-engineering (BPR) to identify, prioritize, establish metrics for, and deliver business process improvements across the organization. Works closely with functional area leadership to facilitate decisions necessary for success.
- Leads cross-functional teams to improve business processes by understanding current processes and proposing modifications or re-engineering initiatives, taking an end-to-end perspective with a focus on improved service and operational excellence, and customer satisfaction.
- Leads the design and execution of complex business re-engineering initiatives including detailed program planning, change management, and effective governance.
- Identifies and manages external expertise as needed to support process re-engineering initiatives.
- Manages key business projects to ensure successful business transformation and re-engineering outcomes with minimal impact to core service delivery.
- Leverages industry standard re-engineering principles, methodologies, and tools to model, measure, and quantify improvements and efficiencies.
- Works with Campus Services IT to understand current IT landscape at the business unit and enterprise level; partners with IT leadership and business owners to identify analytical tools that will distribute data to help inform business decisions
- Gains in-depth understanding of end-to-end business processes and operations to establish trust, intelligently collaborate and gain alignment across business unit.
- Works with business owners to communicate (in-person, via phone, and digitally) BPR initiatives effectively at all levels of the organization and builds engagement and trust with senior management and process owners
- Coaches teams to develop plans that enable continuous improvement and initiate and champion change to develop an organizational mindset that drives process improvement, ownership, and accountability.
- Obtains alignment with business process owners to identify success criteria and process metrics for the identified initiatives. Takes ownership of ongoing measurements and monitoring processes, working with functional owner.
- Accelerates culture of innovation and continuous improvement.
- Participates in special projects and performs additional duties as required.
Bachelor's degree or the equivalent experience required. Graduate degree preferred. Minimum of ten years of leadership experience required preferably five of which are in a senior leadership role. Minimum of five years' experience leading major business change initiatives required. Hands-on experience in opportunity analysis, business case development, implementation and change management required.
- Outstanding influence and communications skills, particularly with senior management teams.
- Excellent organizational, time management, presentation and facilitation skills.
- Excellent leadership, project management, and problem solving skills with demonstrated use of data analysis and metrics to drive decision-making and continuous improvement.
- Excellent analytical, conceptual thinking, strategic planning, and execution skills to drive organizational change.
- High energy, self-starter, excellent team player.
- Possess personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and commitment to mission.
- Ability to collaborate and partner with various subject matter experts across the organization.
- Experience leading change through peer relationships, not exclusively direct authority.
- Proven ability to develop teams and train others in new ways of doing things.
- Flexible and able to multitask; can work within an ambiguous, fast-moving environment, while also driving toward clarity and solutions.
- Ability to quickly understand complex business systems and processes.
- Strong situational assessment and decision-making skills.
USA - MA - Cambridge
00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
Education, Employment, Identity
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, pregnancy and pregnancy-related conditions, or any other characteristic protected by law.