The Continuous Improvement Black Belt is a key position driving data analytics, complex problem-solving, and program execution for Sleep Number’s fulfillment value stream. Depending on the area of focus, the continuous improvement black belt may be leading or supporting cross-functional projects or programs leveraging lean principles and methods to improve the customer experience through all phases of the product lifecycle – manufacturing, fulfillment, in-home delivery, and service. The position is key in developing the strategy and program prioritization to achieve company goals, both customer experience and financial. In addition, this role will help educate the program teams on effective problem-solving principles and methods.
- Lead and execute continuous improvement projects across the value chain; employ Lean/Six Sigma methodology and analytics to extract and analyze data information and perform statistical analysis to identify root causes.
- Lead cross-functional process improvement teams using lean and six sigma principles and practices.
- Directly interface with and influence key leadership and functional experts to make decisions strategic in nature, evaluate long-term consequences and relate to business strategy, financial performance, and effective resource utilization.
- Develop operational decision support tools including executive dashboards and leading indicators for continuous process improvement / monitoring
- Present recommendations and progress reports to senior and executive leadership
- Helping the development and implementation of standard problem-solving practices for Sleep Number’s business.
Key Performance Indicators:
- First Time Complete rates – reschedules, service, and product warranty rates.
- Successful completion of projects
- Days to Recover
- Net Promoter Score
- Improvements in cost and revenue
- BA/BS degree in supply chain management, business, operations, or engineering preferred.
- Strong data analytical skills, including experience with large data sets and statistical analysis.
- Certified Lean/ Six Sigma Black Belt/ Master Black Belt
- Demonstrated Project Management experience, PMP certification a plus
- Demonstrated application of lean problem-solving methodologies, including organizing and conducting Kaizen events.
- 5-7 years of experience leading and applying continuous improvement methodologies in supply chain operations, order management, or customer experience.
- Ability to travel up to 30%
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Track record of discovering and delivering process improvements via Lean and Six Sigma methodologies, including leading Kaizen activities.
- Ability to analyze and quantify business impact of opportunities using advanced analytical tools and statistics.
- Understanding of order management, basic warehouse and logistics operations, inventory movement, and transactions
- Detail oriented and focused on staying organized in a fast-paced work environment.
- Established business acumen.
- Knack for anticipating both technical and functional impacts and requirements.
- Demonstrated ability to understand complex problems, rapidly identify solutions and communicate to all levels of leadership and partners.
- Advanced knowledge of MS Office software with focus in MS Projects, MS Excel, and Power BI.
- Ability to use strong decision making and problem-solving skills, logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solution, conclusions, or approaches to problems
- Demonstrated competency as a change agent, with management of small teams across the organization & supply chain
- The ability to adapt, learn and become proficient in multiple systems and detailed processes quickly