The Continuous Improvement Manager (CIM) role is responsible for championing, developing and sustaining a culture of continuous improvement (CI) and knowledge about related methodologies/ activities (Lean, Six Sigma, ALPS) across all areas of the site with a strong focus on manufacturing and operations. The end-purpose is to improve the real result key performance indicators (Safety, OTIF, cost, material efficiency, quality, and inventories) of the site. The CIM is actively involved in setting up and establishing a support structure to develop CI capabilities and mindset with guidance from central ISC - thus acting as an agent for culture change. This role personifies the Lean Six Sigma (L6S) capabilities and way of solving problems, making decisions and setting standards.
This is a full-time position that reports into the Site/ Plant Manager and is part of the local MT. As such the role aligns with the specific local requirements and priorities and acts effectively and autonomously to support the operational performance in terms of quality, cost, delivery, HSE and people development.
Build Organizational Capabilities:
- Develop and expand local capabilities in applying continuous improvement tools and methods (Lean, Six Sigma) and promote a structured problem-solving approach. Inject passion for this activity by providing a vision and direction for the future development and performance of the site.
- Deploy and sustain the ALPS manufacturing program including a coaching support structure to drive CI initiatives and ensure sustainability of improvements
- Coach Advanced and Lead Practitioners and local staff/MT on site and give reinforcement training on selected topics
- Support and challenge the workforce and local MT in direction setting, prioritization (timing, resources, and sequence of actions) and implementation of improvement activities to best achieve the targets for the key performance indicators of the yearly site improvement plan. This includes the organizational and strategic deployment throughout the site.
- Review the ALPS operating framework (goals & targets, KPIs, operating processes, people) to ensure compliance with corporate and BA requirements and highlight to the site management team areas of concern to agree corrective actions.
- Manage and upload site KPIs on ENABLON
- Improvement Portfolio Management:
- Identify, validate, initiate and drive new improvement opportunities and promote the passion for excellence and delivering on commitments values
- Manage the improvement project funnel including scoping, project assignment, resource planning, tracking of progress and benefits and controlling sustainability of outcomes
- Run own improvement projects delivering value to the organization
- Lead/ support the local ALPS implementation and build-up of required capabilities and ensure ALPS full and successful implementation and practical application on a daily basis
- Network within the AkzoNobel CI community and share insights, problems and opportunities to promote improved performance and problem-solving across the company as well as encourage others to do the same
Experience, Education & Capabilities
- 3+ years of relevant work experience (operations, production, maintenance, logistics, (process) engineering, continuous improvement, etc.)
- Bachelor’s degree (degree related to technical, business, engineering, or chemistry preferred).
- Confident and experienced in coaching others
- Fluent in English, both verbal and written
- Experience in continuous improvement methodologies such as Lean, Six Sigma, TPM
- Prior line management or team leader experience; knows how to use the skills and knowledge of the team to design and implement solutions
- Experience with practical implementation of change programs a plus
- Solid project and stakeholder management experience
- Extensive experience in coaching and engaging others; able to impart knowledge to others
- Able to multi-task in high-pressure environments
- Excellent communication, presentation and conflict resolution skills on all organizational levels; ability to gain respect and trust through situational leadership and integrity and inspire others to follow and participate in the change process
- Strong analysis and problem-solving skills, able to identify and structure issues, run accurate (also statistical) analyses and synthesize recommendations
- Good team player, knows how to build his/her own network
- Strong computer skills (PowerPoint, Excel, Word, SharePoint, JMP); able to prepare various formats of documentation associated with CI programs
- Must be willing to train as an AkzoNobel lean six sigma black belt (where necessary)
- Requires some travel
Behavior & Personality Features
- Risk-friendly and self-directed, able to take a decision quickly within uncertainty
- Comfortable in quickly changing environments with steep learning curve
- Passionate about change and striving for exceptional performance
- Competent leader
- High self-confidence and ability to deal with resistance
- Active listener
- Highly organized and can keep the “big picture” in mind
- Customer focused