Specialist of Continuous Improvement is responsible for leading and managing the continuous improvement process for all areas of the plant. This person will build teams, develop CI plans and drive continuous improvement to include operations, maintenance, warehouse, materials planning and scheduling and quality assurance. The goal of this person is to lead continuous improvement in all aspects of the facility by utilizing the tools, methodology, and processes of continuous improvement.
- Oversee all aspects of continuous improvement for the Plant organization.
- Develops annual plans for the CI in the facility to include quality, environmental and safety.
- Develops and implements training plans for the Plant to promote growth and improvement to the CI process.
- Delivers measurable cost Savings, tangible quality/safety/environmental/sustainable improvements to the Plant.
- Standardizes measurement metrics for the Plan to include KPI’s, OEE, Maintenance, Sanitation, Warehouse, Material management, and other operational functions.
- Supports development of capital plans and Plant budgeting as needed to support CI.
- Implements KPI’s, OEE, and other measurements across the Plant.
- Lead regularly scheduled CI meetings with Plant leadership to review and track progress.
- Trains & educates the Plant personnel on methodologies of CI to include 5S, OEE, Lean, TPM, RCA, 5W and others.
- Establishes and promotes a “do it right the first time” culture in the Plant.
- Communicates and influences change in processes and methods.
- Works with Plant leadership to establish recognition and celebration to promote CI involvement.
- Actively pursues “best practices” to improve the Plant.
- Other tasks as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A) from four-year college or university or related field(s)
- 3 to 5 years of experience in CI or related field.
- Experience in food, pharma, or consumer products manufacturing.
- Ability to build teams, lead cross functional groups, and drive performance.
- Must have skills in development and implementation of CI Training.
- Must have Green Belt or be actively enrolled in Green Belt certification training class.
- Basic understanding of Lean, SPC, 5S, Six Sigma, and other CI tools.
- Must be willing to travel at least 30% of the time.
- Experience with computer application systems related to inventory, distribution, shipping or receiving, especially JDE. Must have advanced skills in Microsoft Office components.
- Excellent management, organization skills, and negotiating skills.
- Self-starter who is able to make changes and improve processes.
- Language Skills – ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operation and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Presentation Skills – ability to make clear, concise, and convincing business presentations.
- Analytical – ability to independently perform, mentor and manage others in conducting complex technical analysis of manufacturing data, statistical process control (SPC) and supplier performance.
- Leadership – ability to act as team leader for special task assignments; providing leadership in development of skills and knowledge for team member; demonstrated ability to develop subordinates by driving, delegating, supporting, coaching, and empowering.
- Mentoring – ability to mentor other team members in technical knowledge and management skills.
- Communication Skills – excellent verbal and written communication skills, including technical writing and presentation skills.
- Organizational Skills – excellent people and organizational skills.
- Judgement/Decision Making – ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions and make appropriate business judgement and recommendations independent of supervisor.
- Computer Skills – working knowledge of Microsoft based software, including Excel, Word, and Outlook.
- Other – ability to elicit internal and external skills; ability to work under pressure and short time lines, prioritizing multiple projects with various simultaneous deadlines, as well as attention to detail with accuracy.
Position Specific Experience/Knowledge/Skills/Abilities
- Valid Driver’s License, clean driving record
- Fluency in English (written and verbal) – required
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully preform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear.
- The employee is frequently required to stand, sit, and taste and smell.
- The employee is occasionally required to use hands to handle or feel; with hands and arms; climb or balance in a manufacturing facility; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- While performing the essential functions of this position, the employee is frequently exposed to moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, extreme cold and extreme heat. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud in the Production area.
- Capable of 24hr, 7day a week, emergency work assignments.