The Continuous Improvement Specialist is responsible for using the Lean/Six Sigma Manufacturing methodology to drive operational process improvements that support the plant’s Enabler Program, among other key strategic initiatives. This position will develop and execute Lean projects & Kaizen events at the plant. The individual will provide mentoring, coaching and training as needed at the plant to support the use of the continuous improvements’ methodology and tools (DMAIC, Visual Management, Center-lining, Quick Changeover, Root Cause Analysis, etc.).They will also facilitate Waste & Scrap Analysis activities at the plant: understanding losses in the plant, leading zero loss analysis initiatives, and managing the overall plant materials loss activities.
The CI Specialist must continuously challenge the status-quo to drive culture change at the plant towards a methodical, data-driven approach to problem solving with an emphasis on root cause problem solving and sustaining improvements:
- Working with people at all levels within the plant with varying levels of Lean Six Sigma experience
- Involved across all phases of Lean manufacturing projects including identification, selection, execution and sustainment
- Reports directly to Executive Vice President - Supply Chain
- Indirectly supervised by Plant Managers throughout the domestic organization
This position will be based in Carrollton, Georgia, supporting Trident’s local facilities.
- Leads complex, high return Lean 6 Sigma projects and Kaizen events (40%)
- Partners with the various departments in identifying and selecting enabler projects that are aligned to key business priorities, including management of Waste & Scrap Analysis and other similar activities (20%)
- Acts as a change agent, systematically driving use of lean manufacturing for continuous improvement and change throughout the plant (10%)
- Monitors and reports on the lean program and Kaizen event progress of the plant (10%)
- Identifies and deploys best practices within the plant and across different departments (10%)
- Performs other responsibilities and tasks as assigned (10%)
- Acquires knowledge of Trident’s Environmental and Safety Policies by completing required training programs and performing designated work activities in accordance with training and procedures/work instructions
- Notifies designated personnel of any environmental or safety incidents or risks not previously documented, in accordance with Environmental Awareness and/or safety trainings
- Minimum 3 years of various plant functions and cross functional operations experience
- Ability to travel (approx. 25%; domestic and international), as well as to remote locations at times. Most travel is planned, project-based.
- Experience and passion for introducing new techniques (i.e. change agent)
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence, and speak effectively before groups of employees and senior management of the organization.
- Strong leadership, communication, facilitation, interpersonal skills, and problem-solving mindset
- Analytical aptitude – ability to collect and analyze data and think analytically
- Ability to influence and drive change
- Respected leader and peer
- Results-oriented with excellent project and time management skills
- Business sense – ability to understand how changes will drive the right business results
- Demonstrated competency of Lean manufacturing and/or Six Sigma methodology
- Skillful use of standard business software (Microsoft Office, etc.)
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering
- Lean Six Sigma Green Belt Certification
- Skills in Minitab or other statistical software
- Varied - from loud, wet factory environments, requiring the use of PPE, to offices and conference rooms.
- Travel will be required, including international travel, and travel to remote locations is required at times (appx 25%). Most travel is planned, project-based.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, or crouch.
- Working in factories requires the ability to climb stairs, ladders, walk significant distances (example, 200 meters), don and doff PPE.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to use independent judgment, discretion and decision making.
- The employee is required to use creativity, training, supervision and mentoring skills as well as problem analysis skills.
- The employee will use interpersonal skills and teamwork.
- The employee will regularly speak, read, write and understand English, and use customer service skills.