The Design Quality Black Belt has several roles at Hunter Douglas: The DFSS practice leader for organization teaching, mentoring and documenting LSS tools and methods. The practice leader for proven Quality launch tools/methods (APQP). Team member on key enterprise design projects/launches -leading the quality aspects for the planning, analysis and validation of new/revised products. Develops and coordinates the enterprise training plan for DFSS and APQP.
Experienced leading, motivating, and influencing design project teams. Leadership ability to help implement the Hunter Douglas Design for Six Sigma vision. Comfortable with managing and driving change. Clear and effective communicator to succeed in the role of a DFSS leader, mentor, coach and trainer.
Acceptable Experience and Training:
Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Statistics or Business (preferably in quantitative field. (BA/BS/MS) or equivalent combination of education and experience (e.g., 10 + years in a quantitative role – Engineering, Process Re-engineering, Quality Assurance). 10 or more years of DFSS/Six Sigma experience leading various projects of significant value, length and complexity in a design and manufacturing organization. Proficient in DFSS tools (FMEA, QFD, DOE, Capability Analysis, Statistical Tolerancing, Monte Carlo Simulation, Hypothesis Testing, Regression, Optimization, and Response Surface). Certified Black Belt in Design Six Sigma/Six Sigma. Strong process, manufacturing, or engineering background with an ability to understand workflow and throughput in the operation.
- Responsible for the strategic deployment of DFSS Six Sigma within the Product Development and Engineering organizations. Promote and support improvement activities in all business areas of the organization as well as at suppliers and customers.
- Act as the in-house coach on Design for Six Sigma initiative deployment and mentor Business Champions / Black Belts / Project Leads of continuous improvement projects.
- Data analysis and translation of data/statistics into tangible business design/launch decisions using data modeling and statistical analysis tools and methods.
- Provides expertise and share best practices regarding Process Improvement tools, methodologies, and team leadership.
- Develop and execute DFSS and APQP training and development strategy, partnering with internal and external resources
- Actively represent the Quality function on product/process development teams.
- Provide guidance to Engineering staff and other personnel to ensure design control requirements are being met in an effective manner, including those for design verification, validation, specification and procedure development, risk management, and design review.
- Design and develop the Quality portions of the HD New Product Development Process.
- Lead or Participate in the investigation of complex product problems. Identify and manage corrective actions resulting from problem investigations.
- Participate in design reviews to evaluate designs and to help identify alternative design solutions.
- Hands on participant in early stages of product development including but not limited to product engineering interaction, competitive product testing, and prototype testing.
- Identifies and manages risk throughout the development process with the use of FMEAs and/or other risk management tools.
- Participate in the development of the master test plans (Trace matrix, VMP) that encompass design verification, design validation and process validation activities.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- In depth knowledge of structured Design Quality launch processes, preferably automotive or equivalent based APQP process and tools (Flow Chart, FMEA, Control Plan, Critical Quality Characteristics, MSA, Capability Analysis, etc.).
- Experience in delivering Black Belt and Green Belt training.
- Demonstrated proficiency with working knowledge of analytical, statistical and process management software, such as Minitab.
- Completion of at least three strategic level DFSS projects with significant business results.
- Experience in managing cross-functional design projects, strong ability to lead others without direct authority.
- Strong change management skills.
- Expert-level ability to influence and affect change at all levels of the organization.
Benefits of working for Hunter Douglas include:
- Accrued paid time off based on years of service, other family time off benefits available
- Medical, Dental, Vision plan, Life insurance, STD, LTD, AD&D, Dependent life, Flexible Spending Accounts, and Pet insurance.
- 401(k) with 6% company match and annual retirement contribution
- Employee development including education tuition assistance
- Robust wellness program with access to monthly virtual classes through Wellbeats and monthly company wellness challenges.
- Generous discount on window coverings, charitable contribution match, employee assistance program, dependent scholarships and more!
Pay range for this role:
$118,000 - $135,000 with a 10% discretionary bonus. This position will be based out of Broomfield, CO