Brief: Commonwealth Fusion Systems (CFS), an MIT spinout pursuing the fastest, surest way to clean, limitless fusion energy, is looking for a world-class, operational leader to build and manage CFS’s internal Business Operations team.
CFS’ mission is to enable world-wide clean energy for everyone, creating a sustainable environment for current and future generations. We’ve created a credible path to an operating fusion power plant in 15 years which leverages our novel collaboration with MIT and funding from strategic and financial investors who share our vision. To execute this plan, we are now looking to add talented people to the team who:
- are mission-driven and treat people well;
- improve our team by adding diverse perspectives & new ways of solving problems;
- have demonstrated exceptional results through a range of different pursuits; and
- have skillsets and experience that relate to the following role:
Director of Business Operations
You’re up to the challenge of owning an entire Business Operations function and can build and lead a well-oiled team that supports the entire company. Nothing is beneath you, but you don’t just do repetitive tasks, you find ways to automate and add systems to increase productivity and eliminate repetition. You naturally and proactively scan for waste and inefficiencies, and you expertly find, create, and deploy new tools to remove them. You thrive in a fast-paced startup environment and are wired to create order out of chaos. The Director of Business Operations will report directly to the CFS Chief Operating Officer and will have regular engagement with the CEO and others in senior management positions.
Business Operations Team Responsibilities include the following:
- Business Systems: build and operate all the internal systems on which the company runs (existing systems include GSuite, Dropbox, Workflowy, Copper CRM, Zoom, and others). Add or replace tools as you see appropriate.
- Human Resources Systems: ensure that team members have all the HR tools and support they need to achieve their goals and that we expertly navigate any issues that require HR support.
- Procurement Systems: assist CFS’s Supply Chain team to build procurement systems that are functional throughout the organization.
- Finance Systems: assist CFS’s Finance team to build finance systems that are functional throughout the organization.
- Hiring and Onboarding Systems: assist CFS’s People Operations team to ensure a seamless hiring and onboarding process for all candidates and new team members.
- Office Management: one of your initial tasks will be to hire CFS’s first Office Manager, followed by a support team as the company’s needs increase. This group should be a resource to the whole company by assisting with scheduling, event planning, arranging travel, managing the office environment, ordering supplies, and other logistics
- IT: Identify and contract with an outside IT firm to manage the company’s hardware, software, and IT security needs.
- Legal Contract Support: create and operate a system to manage repetitive contracts like NDAs and standard consulting agreements.
- Facilities: ensure that we always have the space we need to achieve our goals. Interface with outside real estate experts to find new spaces. Build the team to manage our existing spaces.
- Safety: ensure that everything we do is done safely and that all team members take ownership over each other’s safety and are empowered to improve our safety policies and practices.
- Culture: always looking for ways to make CFS a better place to work and instill CFS’ core values:
- Integrity – Do the right thing. Build trust. Commit to the team and the ideal. Treat others as you want to be treated.
- Execution – Get things done. Refuse to stagnate or go slow. Drive towards delivery, with speed.
- Impact – Work towards the common good. Be the change we want in the world. Keep the mission front and center.
- Self-Critique – Be humble. Welcome feedback. Question the status-quo. Cherish diversity of backgrounds.
The ideal candidate will have:
- 10+ years of experience building, optimizing, transforming, automating, and running internal operations in similar companies;
- a history of thriving in fast-paced, startup R&D environments;
- an MBA or equivalent degree in business operations;
- an organized, operational mindset hyper-focused on eliminating waste;
- many tools in their tool kit to optimize operations, and a passion for adding new tools;
- expert knowledge on current automation, analytical tools, and software that is available to support Operational Excellence;
- Lean Manufacturing Principles, Continuous Improvement, Six Sigma, Kaizen Facilitator, and other business process optimization training/certification is a plus;
- strong leadership abilities, experience building teams, and a talent for driving those teams to execute a multitude of needs;
- personal values that complement our company’s values;
- a team player mindset, constantly using shared mission, vision, and values to guide actions;
- an eagerness to wear many hats in a dynamic, start-up environment; and
- a passion for CFS’s mission to deploy fusion power and reverse climate change.
If you are interested, please submit the following documents to [email protected] with “Business Operations” in the subject line:
2) Cover Letter that describes why you are a great fit for this position and for CFS
AT CFS, WE DEEPLY VALUE DIVERSITY AND ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER BY CHOICE.