This position provides executive leadership, supervision, and direction for Department of Elections’ operations. The position will support and collaborate with the Commissioner in creating, planning, and executing the agency’s strategic plan. The Director of Operations acts on behalf of the Commissioner in their absence or as delegated to make decisions related to operational objectives, supervise agency staff, manage agency operations, and successfully produce results. The Director of Operations will also support and implement programs, including reporting and progress updates, as directed by the Commissioner. The position will develop and maintain collaborative relationships and teamwork across the agency and with other agencies and external partners. Additionally, the position will champion continuous improvement of processes to streamline and improve agency operations. The Director of Operations will provide continuity of agency operations across administrations and ensure agency effectiveness.
Demonstrated ability to effectively plan and direct programs, manage organization operations, lead and manage staff, and communicate effectively orally and in writing. Ability to successfully lead diverse teams to complete all operational and project requirements in a timely manner, and create high levels of employee engagement. Demonstrated ability to develop effective working relationships within the agency and externally and to establish top-notch customer service methods. Ability to identify change management needs and implement change management practices. Experience identifying and facilitating new initiatives and strategic planning. Strong knowledge of elections policy and procedures, fiscal management, a base understanding of information technology and information security best practices.
- Experience in elections, election organization functionality, and elections administration management.
- Previous public sector management experience
- Completion of an undergraduate or graduate degree with a major in public administration or organizational management or related area
- Substantial experience in building and leading teams and organizations to effectively meet organization strategies.
- Experience in the state procurement process and/or in providing elections-related consulting election administration professionals.
- Considerable experience in managing staff and projects.
- Experienced in identifying, designing, and implementing continuous improvement approaches (e.g., Lean, Six Sigma, etc.).