The lean six sigma black belt is a facilitative leader accountable for process improvements yielding bottom-line productivity and improved delivery for the assigned plant. The position oversees lean six sigma transformation within the plant, including deployment strategy, planning, training, coaching, project management, and tool development while managing all activities associated with the design, implementation and sustainment of lean production and management systems. Specific focus on knowledge transfer, training and guidance in fact-based problem solving, continuous improvement tools and techniques.
- Collaborates with plant operations director to prioritize, select and resource projects critical to achieving plant goals for customer satisfaction, operating KPI targets and year-over-year, bottom-line benefits; leads, manages and coaches plant-wide improvement projects and initiatives.
- Facilitates change and supports the deployment, adoption and sustainment of Lean thinking and a Lean-based Management System within assigned plant; teaches and coaches Lean leadership principles and behaviors including servant leadership, A3 thinking, and Lean daily management routines including the use of visual management.
- Develops and implements strategy for fostering basic problem solving (PDCA) knowledge and behavior at all levels; this includes coaching, training and driving disciplined application of fact-based, root-cause thinking.
- Teaches, facilitates, coaches and ensures adherence to established standards for value stream mapping/analysis, kaizen improvement (workshops and daily kaizen) and 5S (workshops, daily improvement and sustainment); makes decisions about the design of value stream analyses and kaizen workshops.
- Guides project leaders and teams through application of lean six sigma tools and techniques (DMAIC, PDCA, root cause analysis, risk assessment/FMEA, kaizen, design for six sigma, mistake proofing); coaches and mentors green belt and yellow belt candidates and participates in daily problem solving activities with focus on knowledge transfer.
- Teaches and coaches standardized work development, documentation, training, adherence, improvement and management.
- Constantly seeks to identify, share and facilitate adoption of best practices to eliminate waste and improve performance at assigned location and across BPNCA.
- Collaborates with plant operating systems manager (OSM) to conduct process analysis and performance reporting in support of internal client needs.
- Required to present, educate, train and facilitate at all levels and to external audiences.
- Evaluates and revises training materials and supporting tools as needed.
- Supports day-to-day operation of the BPNCA Lean Six Sigma department and performs other duties, responsibilities and/or projects as assigned.
- Broad training in a related field usually acquired through college degree level education with a degree in Engineering, Business, Quality or Management
- Job related experience for a minimum of 5 (five) years combined process, project or/and relevant functional experience actively driving continuous improvement; manufacturing setting preferred with functional expertise in production, quality, product service or engineering
- Lean Six Sigma Black Belt Certification through a recognized, national organization
- Demonstrated knowledge of DMAIC methodology applied to process design or process improvement in a production environment
- Must be able to prioritize multiple projects, perform complex tasks, organize and follow through consistently and work under pressure to meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment
- Proven team builder and leader
- Organizational performance dashboard or scorecard development experience
- Strong written and oral communication, facilitation and presentation skills
- Demonstrable skill in teaching, coaching and influencing leaders; ability to influence upward, across and down with skill, grace and humor and without formal authority
- Change leadership experience; willing to take risks, challenge the status quo and work under ambiguous circumstances
- Intellectually, emotionally and logically capable and confident; has the wisdom, intelligence and stature to quickly gain credibility and become a trusted advisor to plant staff.
- Application experience and skill (MS Excel, Visio, PowerPoint, Word; MINITAB, JMP or other analysis package)
- 10% travel