Excellent opportunity for a experienced product development professional. With experience in an R & D environment, not manufacturing or operations. Must have a strong background in predictive engineering.
This is not an Operational Excellence position. The scope of the role is New Product Design & Development not manufacturing, business, or service operations improvement or deployment.
Selected candidate can work in any of these R & D locations; Concord, CA, Waltham, MA and/or Ogden, UT.
PURPOSE AND SCOPE:
This manager position is a Design for Six Sigma (DFSS) Subject Matter Expert/Training/Coaching Specialist position within a global enterprise deployment. The Engineering System Operation (ESO) Manager with have the responsibility and authority for delivering instruction (both planned and on-demand), coaching, and monitoring the implementation of Design for Six Sigma (DFSS) methodologies within certification and non-certification projects. The DFSS ESO Manager supports the Global Enterprise DFSS Deployment plan execution through carrying out responsibility in 3 primary areas: Training content development and improvement, training wave scheduling and delivery, and mentoring and coaching belt candidates. The primary measures of success are outcomes of DFSS projects, candidate feedback, and certification rates.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Reviews current R&D organizational and project productivity and performance goals as inputs to DFSS readiness assessments; identifies gaps and proposes gap closure strategies relevant to DFSS.
- Drive application of DFSS methods for your respective region to achieve or improve financial outcomes and PDP cycle time commitments.
- Maintain visibility of scorecards for candidates and how they connect the DFSS algorithm (tool flow) to business outcomes.
- Facilitate scheduling and delivery of training to advance the proficiency of the workforce as measured by the number of certified employees for your region.
- Coach and mentor individual candidates or teams of employees on proper DFSS method & tool selection and application on existing projects.
- Identify and implement improvements to DFSS training content, work processes, design rules, models, etc…
- Provide technical leadership for the application and integration of DFSS into new and existing processes where appropriate.
- Lead change to establish proactive process inputs back into design and instill a culture of continuous learning (project gate decisions, training evaluation, & coaching feedback).
- Actively monitor the candidate-team-manager relationship to identify and manage conflicts that could affect project execution and outcomes.
- Generate periodic inputs and reporting for deployment review.
- Other duties as assigned.
Additional responsibilities may include focus on one or more departments or locations. See applicable addendum for department or location specific functions.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The physical demands and work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Travel requirement: 20-30%
- May be responsible for various levels of engineering system operations staff.
- Bachelor’s’ degree required in an Engineering discipline, Master’s preferred.
- DFSS Master Black Belt Certification from a reputable organization.
- ASQ Certified Reliability Engineer or equivalent.
EXPERIENCE AND REQUIRED SKILLS:
- 5+ years of relevant experience in deployment of DFSS in a large multi-national organization.
- 5+ years of increasing responsibility in a variety of product development environments focused primarily on complex electro-mechanical-software integrated product architectures used in the regulated industry (i.e. Medical Device).
- 5+ years Product Design for Reliability application in a large multi-national organization.
- Hardware and Software development experience using AGILE approaches (Lean, Feature-Driven, Spiral, ext.) in the medical industry or other regulated industry.
- Medical device product development experience and a strong understanding of FDA, ISO, IEC, etc. regulations and standards.
- Training and application in applied statistics; ability to teach and explain practical use of statistical methods in a product development context (Taguchi, DOE, ANOVA, Sample Size Selection, Monte Carlo Simulations, MSA, etc.,).
- Experience in supporting Product Development projects and organizations from concept to launch.
- Understanding and experience applying engineering economy and project financial concepts and tools.
- Ability to evaluate and align DFSS practices with Quality Management System standards and requirements; defend actions and results under audit if required.
- Experience with the INCOSE Systems Engineering BoK or equivalent Model Based System Engineering BoK highly desired.
- Demonstrated communication skills: ability to communicate technical information to non-technical audiences.
- Proven ability to develop and deliver training content and apply mentoring and coaching techniques to assure candidate successfully complete projects and deliver business outcomes.
EO/AA Employer: Minorities/Females/Veterans/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity
Fresenius Medical Care North America maintains a drug-free workplace in accordance with applicable federal and state laws.