Responsible for leading the Continuous Improvement/Hershey Lean vision and processes to drive significant improvement in safety, quality, cost, customer service and engagement. Assures alignment of CI processes with plant and company goals. Together with the plant leadership team, develops an audit process to ensure proper accountabilities for results. Provides leadership, coaching and training across all shifts to create an environment that engages the total workforce as well as delivers critical program continuity across the network.
Full plant accountability for the progress of Hershey Lean in each Business Unit from deployment on each line to the development and maintenance of the TMP pillars as the program matures. Fully plant accountability for plantwide labor scheduling and hourly training processes, including Process Operating Guide (POG) development and maintenance. Direct reports include the Labor Scheduling & Training Lead and the Process Leads on the line centric teams.
- Provides leadership and career development to 7 direct reports (Labor Scheduling and Training Supervisor and Process Leads.
- Accepts ownership of the continued development and sustainability of Hershey Lean as well as plantwide labor scheduling, hourly training, and POGs.
- Takes ownership of developing the site level work plan supported by the weekly action plan, and ensures a high-level assessment of systems.
- Flags major risk and network-level roadblocks to the central team.
- Coordinates with the central team and Op Ex managers at other sites to ensure implementation consistency with the rest of the network.
- Takes ownership for developing and sustaining Focus teams to monitor health of systems, share knowledge across the plan and define roll out progression.
- Provides leadership and direction to operations with a span of control over 2 Business Units.
- Implements a structured Integrated CI program in the facility, based on TMP style methodologies to drive performance metrics to best in class (DDS, AM, PM, FI, QI).
- Serves as a change agent – influencing change management at the manager, peer and subordinate level including business unit leadership.
- Develops structures for capability building at the line level to drive a zero loss culture and trains the use of CI tools for effective problem solving (CILs / Centerlines, SMED etc).
- Coaches, directs and trains salary and hourly personnel to utilize available tools.
- Coordinates internal and external resources for opportunity evaluation and implementation of CI processes.
- Develops and delivers training to support and enhance employee engagement in the CI process on the floor by participating in active teams as a “Process Leader.”
- Accepts ownership of the continued development and sustainability of Hershey Lean as well as plantwide labor scheduling, hourly training and POGs.
- Takes ownership of developing the site level workplan supported by the weekly action plan and ensures a high-level assessment of systems.
- Identified major risk and network-level roadblocks to the central team.
- Coordinates with the central team and Op Ex managers at other sites to ensure implementation consistency across the network.
- Takes ownership for developing and sustaining focus teams to monitor health of systems, share knowledge across the plan and define rollout progression.
- Provides direction and support to the formulation, evaluation, strategy setting and presentation of product and process solution improvements. Facilitates brainstorms, designs, and promotes improvements to processes or equipment to improve safety, quality, customer service and cost and creates a healthy CI pipeline, 3-year glide paths toward CBN targets for the plant.
- Demonstrates operational experience to understand and provide robust process solutions. Understands and can develop a ZBA/Six-Sigma type analytics.
- Develops facility specific projects through completion and serves as project leader during development and approval.
- Provides leadership on CI audit processes to ensure progress is on track versus vision.
- Ensures critical adherence to the Hershey Lean program on all lines with key metrics to include, but not limited to adherence to line launch schedule; reduction in CO time; MTBF reduction during launch period; OEE2 improvement during launch period.
Minimum knowledge, skills and abilities required to successfully perform major duties/responsibilities:
- Knowledge of food manufacturing policies, procedures, and GMPs
- General CPG process, packaging subject matter expertise
- Knowledge of CI systems and methodologies including TPM, Lean Manufacturing and Six Sigma
- Understands metrics and best in class excellence levels of maturity
- Proven leadership abilities, including strong influencing skills without direct reporting
- Proven change management skills
- Excellent problem-solving skills with ability to balance multiple and changing priorities
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to coach, train and provide constructive feedback to all levels of the plant organization
- Demonstrated abilities to build capability and confidence in team
- Ability to understand financial data and analysis to estimate values, including the development of Zero Based Analytics
- Understands the budget process and has demonstrated abilities to manage a budget
- Ability to recognize and adapt to different audiences
Minimum Education and Experience Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree required; a degree in an engineering or related discipline strongly preferred
- MBA and Six Sigma-Green Belt certification or above a plus
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in an automated manufacturing environment (preferably in food processing engineering)
- Experience with Lean Manufacturing, Six Sigma and TPM is strongly preferred