The Fresno Irrigation District is looking to hire an individual to serve as the Operations Manager. Under general direction from the Assistant General Manager of Operations, the Operations Manager provides the leadership, management and vision necessary to ensure that the Water and Construction/Maintenance Departments (also known as Operations) have the proper operational controls, administrative policies, reporting procedures, and people systems in place to ensure operational effectiveness and efficiency that aligns with the District’s strategic mission and vision. The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate, through their experience, strong organizational, technical, communication, and project management skills, and be competent to assign and direct staff
The Operations Manager also works in close collaboration with the Engineering staff in activities related to planning, prioritizing, and designing canals, pipelines, and appurtenance as well as in activities relating to the construction, maintenance, and capital improvement of canals, pipelines and District-wide capital improvements.
About Fresno Irrigation District:
The District is made up of 245,000 acres of rich farmland and urban areas all within Fresno County. Water from our infrastructures supplies the rapidly growing metropolitan areas of the City of Fresno and the City of Clovis.
The mission of the Fresno Irrigation District is to protect and manage the surface and groundwater resources of the District in order to meet the present and future water needs of the people and lands within the district.
“Your Most Valuable Resource – Water”
Fresno is the largest metropolitan city in Central California’s San Joaquin Valley and the fifth largest city in California! Fresno County is one of the top counties in the nation in agricultural production, and is well-known for the amazing variety and quantities of produce. As the business, financial, cultural and entertainment capital of the San Joaquin Valley, Fresno is host to a variety of natural wonders (convenient access to Yosemite, Sequoia and Kings Canyon National Parks), and is only three hours away from the Bay Area, Pismo Beach, Monterey, and Los Angeles.
Typical Job Duties and Responsibilities
- High-level decision making, managing and executing the strategic vision; budget reviews, cost management, project completion, develop growth strategies, manage performance, obtain maximum performance from staff; establish procedures and process, forecast and schedule
- Collaborate with HR with succession planning, hiring, evaluating, training, disciplining and approving employee-related transactions in operations; attract, retain and motivate staff
- Inspire and direct managers and supervisors, develop ownership thinking among staff
- Manage, direct, communicate, and coordinate operations activities directly and through Managers and Supervisors
- People Management: clear communication and collaboration within and across all departments; manage relationships with partners/vendors, resolve disputes, ensure personnel are trained; implement, execute and document ongoing performance management, goal-setting, metrics, reviews, corrective actions, and progressive discipline
- Report Writing: reports and letters for management, the Board, and the general public
- Share information with the board to ensure they are kept fully informed; Prepare and present analytical findings to upper management and stakeholders
- Data and Metrics Driven/Systems and Process Improvement/ Quality Assurance: making operational data pervasive within operations; develop and evaluate clearly defined key performance indicators; establish policies, standardize operating procedures, and systems
- Analyze and interpret data and metrics, work out a strategy for improving if necessary, always with an eye towards efficiency; set goals, monitor work, and evaluate results
- Oversee, evaluate, improve, and ensure full utilization of all technologies and systems
- Allocate and manage resources through capacity planning and supply preparation
- Develop and implement inventory control procedures to ensure accuracy of supply inventory and track costs while minimizing shortages
- Oversee fleet management program
- Five years increasing responsible experience in a regulatory industry requiring compliance and reporting
- Proven track record being detail oriented and ability to manage time well.
- Exceptional oral and written communication skills
- Able to work independently and interdependently
- Capable of initiating, planning, and coordinating projects and special assignments
The Ideal Candidate:
The following attributes and experiences are highly valued, but not required, in consideration of candidates:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Construction Management, Engineering, Business Management or related field
- Training and experience with Lean Management, Lean Six Sigma and/or other continuous improvement methodologies is a plus
- Experience in a municipality or special district a plus
- Prior experience in the water industry preferred
- Eight years of relevant, strong, progressive, operational experience is preferable
- At least four (4) years in a senior management or supervisory role preferred
Rates and compensation will be negotiated based upon qualifications and experience. The salary is expected to be between $100,000 - $120,000 annually.
- Medical, Dental and Vision Benefits
- Retirement Benefits: 401k with 6% match, 457, medical/dental/vision retirement package
- District Paid Insurance: Life, short-term & long-term disability
- Vacation, Sick Time,
- And more
To apply for the position, please visit us at www.fresnoirrigation.com and click on “About” then “Careers”. Please be sure to complete the supplementary application as well.
The position will remain open until filled.
Application materials will be reviewed and considered pursuant to the criteria contained in this posting. Candidates with the most relevant qualifications will be invited to participate in the interview process.