The Operations Manager oversees all production, engineering and maintenance functions to ensure efficient and profitable manufacturing operations. Direct responsibilities include managing both the operations process, embracing design, planning, control, performance improvement, and operations strategy. Will prepare and control departmental budgets, provide leadership in safety, 5S, housekeeping, quality and improving cost reduction. Contributes to the accuracy and effectiveness of the planning and goal setting process by developing, recommending, implementing and achieving operational plans, goals, budgets, and capital requirements. This position will also help develop floor supervision, promote positive labor relations and provide communication feedback to all levels of the organization. The position will report to and work closely with the Plant Manager in strategic and capital expenditures planning.
Directs the manufacturing activities of all products including machines, spare parts, buildings & grounds and repair activities to meet customer schedule commitments within quality and cost objectives. Measurement of success includes the measurement of employee safety, world-class quality, meantime between failure reliability, direct labor productivity, shipment on-time performance, direct labor productivity, and leading edge product efficiencies.
- Achieve organizational goals, both Pillar and “Must-Win-Battles” through efficient and strategic use of resources and capacities.
- Responsible for the efficiency of the entire operation to include the asphalt plant, production lines, maintenance/facilities and engineering.
- Maintains continuous dialogue and communication with the Plant Manager as needed to keep him apprised of the status of safety, quality, production, schedules, loads, problems and opportunities available to maximize efficient operations and to enhance the overall operations of the company manufacturing operations.
- Maintains open, candid and continuous communications with personnel from all functions to ensure that essential information is disseminated to insure accomplishment of critical business objectives and customer satisfaction.
- Manage, direct, plan and coordinate (through Manufacturing Superintendents and Supervisors) all production and maintenance activities in order to meet plant objectives, annual Profit Plan and monthly forecast.
- Determine effect of production load changes on plant operations. Take action(s) to adjust capacities (labor and/or equipment) to meet new production requirements.
- Review plant-operating practices insuring that safety, quality and production standards are maintained/enhanced.
- Assure appropriate working climate by maintaining proper discipline, morale and employee relations.
- Participate in planning and/or decision making in matters concerning financial and operational problems, inventory control, plant policy, Facility/Maintenance issues and staffing.
- Support the identification, development, and drive implementation of WCM, new manufacturing methods, equipment, material planning, quality improvement, and Lean and Six Sigma methods.
- Ensure adherence to all environmental, health and safety policies and procedures.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Five or more years manufacturing experience in a management capacity.
- Strong working knowledge of product structure, manufacturing processes as well as quality standards and modern manufacturing technologies and techniques, TPM. (autonomous maintenance, professional maintenance and early equipment management), quality and process control including Statistical Process Control (SPC), 5S, standardized work and other Lean principles. Proficiency in Six Sigma, TPM and Lean Manufacturing concepts-WCM.
- Strong written and oral communication skills and proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.