The position directs the activities of, and has responsibility for, subordinates in direct production and indirect support functions in an operations environment.
- Responsible for developing, implementing and maintaining departmental and individual goals and performance measures.
- Aligns individual and team/departmental goals to support overall organizational goals. Motivates and recognizes members on achievements.
- Coordinates work load requirements and work scheduling with teams.
- Develops, reviews and maintains staffing requirements.
- Responsible for annual performance evaluations, development, discipline and terminations.
- Responsible for interviewing and selection of new members.
- Coordinates all activities of direct members and provides resources to achieve team goals.
- Identify and provide resources for member development and training. Identify training needs related to safety, quality, new technologies and application tools.
- Responsible for maintaining training plans (e.g. Job specific, ISO, QS, FAA, Certifications, etc) and ensure members certifications and training requirements are kept current as required for position.
- Ensure members adhere to all work instructions and quality requirements.
- Basic knowledge of the Six Sigma processes and the ability to apply Six Sigma principles to production process for continual improvement and operational effectiveness
- Responsible for managing budget, indirect labor expenses, purchase orders, etc.
- Actively motivates direct reports and team/project members.
- Works with moderate guidance and supervision from leader or more senior level peers.
- Communicates and supports the message of WLES (Woodward Lean Enterprise System) and PLC (Product Life Cycle) to his/her members.
- Clearly communicates and advocates the vision, strategies, alignment grids for Woodward, Business Group, Functional Area to his/her members.
- Collaborates with others on continuous process improvement and cost reduction plans.
- Trains new members as required providing support and expertise
- May require overtime, weekend and night shift work
- May be responsible for logistics (e.g. Shipping/Receiving, etc)
- Demonstrated knowledge of Project Management skills.
- Solid knowledge of business computer systems and PC tools (e.g. WISE, SAP, MS Office).
- Ability to quickly learn processes, equipment and tools used in specific areas of responsibility.
- Ability to analyze and present information using data.
- Solid communication skills both written and verbal. Ability to communicate effectively with both internal and external customers.
- Basic negotiation skills.
- Ability to drive continuous improvement activities through strong team-building and problem-solving.
- Ability to effectively organize and prioritize day-to-day activities and issues within functional area.
- Ability to delegate effectively and follow through on assigned tasks and meet deadlines.
- Ability to deliver presentations in a comprehensive and professional manner to department and peers.
- Understand the aspects of lean and PLC. Communicates and supports the message of WLES and PLC to his/her members.
- Basic problem solving skills.
- Ability to make decisions in a timely manner, sometimes with incomplete information and under tight deadlines and pressure.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, ability to motivate teams and resolve member related issues.
Education or Formal Training
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Two or Four year degree in related discipline desired.
- Previous leadership experience required (e.g. direct leadership, team lead, mentoring, projects, etc).
- Previous operations experience/knowledge required.
Materials and Equipment Used
Working Environment/ Physical Activities
- Moderate physical activity requiring agility and dexterity, including walking, standing, or bending and lifting or moving objects.
- Work is performed in some areas that may required special safety precautions, such as wearing protective clothing or gear.
- May be required to pass Near Vision and/or color vision examinations.
- Manual dexterity: usual office conditions
- Exposed to noise level common to the over-all facility.
- May be required to travel domestic or international