We believe people should love what they do – in this role, you will be responsible for:
Reporting to the Manager of Supplier Quality, the Principal Supplier Quality Engineer will partner with assigned suppliers to provide technical leadership, improve quality performance and achieve Textron Systems supply chain objectives in support of customer commitments and on-time delivery.
- Understand customer requirements and work cross-functionally to build quality into products, processes and procedures.
- Provide technical leadership and expertise to new product development and sustainment initiatives.
- Manage risk associated with critical suppliers by developing and executing mitigation strategies.
- Qualify new sources by performing Quality Management System assessments and special process surveys.
- Conduct Technical Interchange Meetings with suppliers prior to start of production to ensure requirements are understood and can be met without limitation.
- Facilitate continuous improvement of supplier capabilities and product performance.
- Solicit supplier inputs into product design, considering design for manufacturability, cost, reliability, parts availability and more.
- Perform process reviews, first article reviews, and witness testing at supplier facilities ensuring procured product meets drawings, specifications, processes and statement of work requirements.
- Resolve inspection, test and documentation issues associated with incoming purchased material.
- Analyze data to identify trends, determine root cause and take corrective action with suppliers to ensure performance at expected quality levels.
- Mentor others within the Quality organization to achieve group objectives and individual results.
- Broad knowledge of engineering and manufacturing processes and procedures.
- Technical knowledge of inspection and test techniques.
- Knowledge of ISO 9001-based quality systems; AS9100 a plus.
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced, dynamic environment with emphasis on internal customer service.
- Strong technical writing ability, including MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills in dealing with suppliers, peers and other functional areas.
- Effective communication skills, written and oral, with the ability to work in a collaborative team environment.
- Ability to apply logical and scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems.
- Successful track record of process improvement and application of lean principles.
- Bachelor’s degree required in Engineering or related technical discipline (Mechanical, Electrical or Industrial Engineering preferred); Master’s degree a plus.
- Minimum ten (10) years of experience in an engineering and/or manufacturing environment.
- Ability to obtain / maintain a Secret Level security clearance a plus.
- Supplier Quality / Quality Engineering experience preferred; ASQ certifications a plus.
- Lean Six Sigma training preferred; Green / Black Belt a plus.
- Up to 30% travel, including international, possibly on short notice.
- This position follows a Compressed Work Week (9/80) schedule.