Maintain Process Safety Information for site’s product portfolio.
Ensure process safety for new products is evaluated and documented prior to manufacture.
Ensure Process Safety Information is compiled / updated for new processes or process changes.
Serve as a Hexion Engineering asset in the design and development of new processes and new Process technologies. Participate in process design reviews with stakeholders.
Participate in or lead the Process Hazard Analyses.
Develop Process Packages from process improvement ideas that can be handed off to Project
Engineering for cost estimation and implementation.
Execute small to medium process improvement capital projects.
Work with Project Engineering to design and/or specify new process equipment.
In conjunction with R&D, assess manufacturing capabilities and develop robust manufacturing processes for new resin products.
Develop standardized manufacturing methods and operating limits for the site’s production
resources to permit optimum production rates while maintaining approved safety standards.
Recommend formulation and process design changes to affect optimum processing costs and/or meet safety requirements.
Develop SOP’s and complete operator training. Participate in mechanical and instrumentation check-outs. Complete Pre-Startup Safety Reviews.
Track and analyze downtime, capacity utilization, imperfect production, batch cycle times, product yields, and production schedule adherence to identify improvement opportunity areas.
Responsible for energy (steam, gas, electricity, nitrogen, water) efficiency tracking in the
production units. Implement and/or recommend projects to improve energy efficiency and
Identify opportunities for reduction of Hazardous and non-hazardous waste generation in the production units.
Ensure compliance of environmental control systems with local regulations.
Six Sigma implementation for the production units; use data systems to identify waste, losses, and variability improvement opportunities.
Develop and track key performance metrics for the production units at the Springfield site.
Prepare and compile periodic metric reporting packages. Present to site staff, site leadership, and Business management.
Develop and implement shop floor level programs (six-sigma, etc.) that enable Site Operations staff to effectively obtain and use information to make tactical decisions.
Develop robust production SOP's and standardized manufacturing methods to improve EH&S, productivity, and quality performance.
Participate in root cause analysis on defective and imperfect production to identify corrective
actions to prevent reoccurrence.
Other duties as assigned
- Strong communication skills (written and verbal) with all levels of the organization and external customers.
- Strong analytical skills.
- High energy and initiative; willing to overcome obstacles to drive improvement.
- Self-starter; must be able to complete goals and objectives with minimal direct supervision.
- Ability to problem solve and make rational decisions in routine and emergency situations.
- Organizational capabilities (very organized)
- Accepts and promotes business and cultural changes and promotes team concept and atmosphere. Proven ability to work and lead in a team environment.
- Must be able to work non-standard hours / overtime as required to achieve goals and objectives.
- 2-3 years of process engineering experience in the chemical industry preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to drive and implement process improvement
- Process design experience
- Process Hazard Analysis experience
- Project management experience
- Previous experience with SAP
- PSM experience
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Chemical Engineering. Will consider Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.