The Process Improvement Engineer will be a primary technical resource for the conventional make and processed cheese operations in our Melrose, MN facility. The individual will identify, lead, develop and execute solutions for quality and performance improvements.
- Serves as a technical liaison for all levels of the company including production/maintenance employees, plan resources, corporate engineering, and R&D.
- Provides technical support in the manufacture of new or existing products; includes assisting with process issues that arise and modifying process specifications as necessary to assure consistent quality and capacity.
- Collaborates with plant management team to identify, prioritize, test, and implement projects based on business needs.
- Creates and modifies work instructions as necessary to document processes critical to quality; train operators and supervisors on new processes, work instructions and equipment to ensure quality and repeatability.
- Conducts process optimization utilizing continuous improvement tools (Kaizen, Lean, Six Sigma) that improve cost, output, yields, uptime and quality.
- Serves a manufacturing representative on cross-functional teams formed for product qualifications and launches.
Minimum Qualifications Required:
- B.S. in Chemical Engineering, Food Science or other relevant engineering degree
- 3+ years’ experience in a process engineering role - Desired experience in processed cheese/dairy.
- Significant broad-based project management experience.
- Food manufacturing or food equipment background experience is desired.
Competencies – Skills Required:
- Excellent analytical skills, strong attention to detail, good communication and interpersonal skills.
- In depth knowledge of food chemistry, analytical sampling and testing, and product formulations strongly desired.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively manage multiple product and technical service projects to meet business objectives.
- Must be able to work in a changing environment where a high degree of teamwork and collaboration are required.
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of MS Office software required- Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Outlook.
- Knowledge of continuous improvement tools and lean methods including Reliability Excellence is preferred.
- Experience with process technology including mixing and blending, flow control, plate heat exchangers, temperature regulation, scraped surface heat exchangers, homogenizers, Ammonia, Nitrogen/CO2 highly desired.
Physical demands and work environment:
- The physical demands and work environmental characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; reach with hands and arms; balance; stoop; climb up and down stairs and ladders; talk or hear. The employee must occasionally lift and/or moves up to 15 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- The noise level in the work environment is occasionally loud and will require hearing protection (ear plugs). While working in the manufacturing areas, the incumbent is required to follow GMP's and wears personal protective equipment
Hours: Melrose plant is a 24/7 operations. Off Shift hours may be required as needed.