Provides leadership and supervision to production work teams and serves as the link to plant management for the team. Facilitates team meetings, intervenes as necessary to keep the team’s goals and results consistent with company direction, and works with the team members to develop their full potential. The shift supervisor, in conjunction with the team, is responsible for safety, product quality, product quantity, equipment condition, and department housekeeping.
Job functions include, but are not limited to the following:
- Supervises and facilitates the day-to-day shift activities of the production floor.
- Utilizes knowledge and experience, providing training to team members.
- Responsible for their individual performance.
- Oversees aspects of scheduling, material handling issues and maintenance, as well as resolving production problems.
- Helps team achieve goals and has responsibility for personnel issues, including required discipline.
- Provides a communication network between direct reports and middle and upper management.
- Works with employees to maintain a safe work environment.
- Encourages and leads team members to work in a safe manner and to seek improvement in work practices for their benefit.
- Supports plant in achieving departmental and plant safety goals.
- Ensures that the team maintains quality standards and quality checks are completed and documented in the system.
- Ensures that product quality, production efficiencies, and overall productivity meets or exceeds established standards, and is directly accountable for expenditures exceeding budgeted levels.
- Strives to be technically proficient on the machinery in the department. Assists the team in problem resolution.
- Participates in Root Cause Analysis and Corrective Actions (from customer complaints, SQF audits, validation, and verification activities) as required.
- Follows all procedures related to producing Safe Quality Foods (SQF).
- Reports any potentially unsafe SQF conditions or customer complaints to a person of authority to record and/or correct the situation.
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Exceptional communication skills, good organization and the ability to motivate people to perform at high levels.
- Quality conscious and customer oriented.
- Action oriented and self-motivated: enjoys working hard; acts with the right amount of planning. Seizes opportunities to achieve goals and improve the process.
- Hands-on individual with keen interest in quickly learning and applying new skills who can follow written/verbal instructions and meet deadlines with minimal supervision
- Establishes clear expectations and inspects the expectations to ensure they are being met.
- Ability to hold employees accountable and confront them as needed to ensure policies are followed and performance goals are met
- Track record of developing direct reports and others
- Adheres to an effective set of core values and beliefs during good times and bad
- Ability to provide current, direct, complete, and “actionable” positive and corrective feedback to others
- Creates a climate in which people want to do their best and invites input from employees.
- Solid problem-solving skills utilizing rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions
- Ability to lead efforts to react quickly to changing requirements and new processing developments.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills to be able to communicate with all levels of the organization
- Good organizational skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Computer literate - able to use Word, Excel, Outlook
- Knowledge of Lean Manufacturing and Six Sigma
- Experience in the packaging and/or folding carton industry is a plus
- Experience in a manufacturing environment
- Minimum of 3-5 years supervisory experience in a manufacturing plant preferred
- Experience with SAP is a plus