The Quality Manager is responsible for developing and supporting an effective Quality Management System. As the liaison to our external customers s/he is expected to proactively act to maintain healthy business relations focused on producing product of the highest quality. S/he utilizes the tools and methodologies of Six-Sigma, LEAN Manufacturing, and ISO requirements to improve the capability of the manufacturing and quality processes, resulting in increased efficiencies, reduced defects and variation, and improved customer satisfaction.
Demonstrates behavior that is consistent with the company’s values of Customer Satisfaction, Innovation, Family, and Social Responsibility.
Essential Job Functions/Tasks:
1. Acts as liaison to business unit customers addressing field issues, customer complaint reports (CCR), and return material authorizations (RMA).
2. Leads efforts to ensure product quality is integrated into product development efforts, which include engineering specification development, part and tool design, molded part qualification, supplier qualification, fixture development, in-process quality control, and end-of-line product testing.
3. Establishes and conducts Product Performance, Reliability, and Product Compliance test plans for New Product Introduction (NPI), engineering change orders, and continuous improvement projects.
4. New product development team member. Ensures the reliability of new products by developing, managing, and executing comprehensive qualification plans. Assists the development team with robustness designing through the active participation in Failure Modes and Effects Analyses (FMEA) and by developing accelerated component level test methods.
5. Continually ensures understanding of product performance in the field. Retrieves product performance information from Contractors, Product Managers, Regional Sales Managers, the Customer Service Team, and the Technical Services Team. Analyzes product failures based on geography, environmental conditions, and product usage. Analyzes field failures, returned product, and customer complaints. Compares warranty guarantees to product issues and reports all correlations. Generates monthly reports.
6. Administers compliance and certificate programs for current and future products. Works with certifying agencies to ensure product conformance is achieved and maintained. Understands regulatory trends and keeps current with new regulations. Reviews and updates compliance documents. Generates declarations to certify the compliance of Hunter products.
7. Under the direction of the Global Quality Assurance Manager, implements policies, procedures, and systems to establish a global quality discipline and quality management system.
8. Develops, implements, and monitors key performance indicators that are measurable and bottom-line oriented for respective business unit. Prepares and submits department report(s) focused on customer satisfaction, KPIs, Cost of Quality, etc.
9. Provides support to ensure products are manufactured to the highest standards of quality and reliability at all manufacturing levels and throughout the entire product life cycle, both at internal and contract manufacturing locations.
10. Provides manufacturing engineering support for complete integration of new products into full production per Hunter’s NPDI process. Provides focus on delivering a repeatable process with high quality yield. Supports the concurrent engineering efforts on behalf of Manufacturing as a member of the product development team.
11. Uses lean manufacturing practices and six sigma methodologies to evaluate and improve assembly line performance per established key performance indicators. Takes on leadership responsibility to implement improvement projects by evaluating project change justification and ensures the project is on schedule and within budget.
12. Tracks business unit expenses against budget and recommends measures for cost reduction as well as any need for additional supplies, equipment, and personnel. Provides capital and expense requirements for budgeting process.
13. Promotes the organization’s quality mission to internally expand and improve our quality manufacturing process capability with a quality improvement system to achieve defect-free, reliable products.
14. Continually expands knowledge of statistics and warranty/reliability engineering methods and applies/implements methodologies in a practical manner.
Other Job Functions:
Performs other related tasks as assigned, some of which may become essential to the position.
Responsibility for safety is an important part of the manager position at Hunter Industries. It can only be successful when each manager understands that they play a key role in the implementation of the company Injury and Illness Prevention Program and safety procedures. They are to recognize hazards and correct unsafe conditions in a timely manner. They should set the tone for safety by personal example and commitment to following company safety policies. Manager personnel should investigate work related injuries and illnesses and take corrective and preventive action, including disciplining those who break the rules. Violators should be treated with fairness and firmness.
Education/Training Required and Preferred:
Bachelor's degree in Engineering or related field of study.
Six-Sigma Black Belt/Master Black Belt Certification is preferred.
Experience Required and Preferred:
Minimum five years of experience in a high-volume manufacturing environment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (KSA's):
KSA #1: Ability to plan, organize, and lead the operations and financial performance of the department.
KSA #2: Excellent work standards, initiative, and persuasiveness, and interpersonal skills with ability to interface with all levels of employees, vendors, and customers.
KSA #3: Strong problem-solving skills. Excellent work standards, initiative, and persuasiveness.
KSA #4: Strong organizational and presentation skills.
KSA #5: Computer proficiency with knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite and various quality systems software.
KSA #6: Ability to track and measure results of programs, formulates forecasts, interpret financial data and trends, and prepare detailed budget and planning reports.
KSA #7: Ability to travel domestically and/or internationally. Ability to obtain a valid passport.
Ability to sit to use a computer, attend meetings, evaluate workstations and assembly ergonomics issues.
Ability to work in a variety of positions (bending, kneeling, and crouching) to gain access to the lower areas of machines in the facility.
Ability to climb stairs to gain access to upper levels of the facility.
Ability to carry material, fixtures, tools, equipment weighing up to 60 pounds.
Finger dexterity sufficient to use standard measuring equipment and a computer.
Visual acuity sufficient to use standard measuring equipment and a computer, and to read written material.
Office setting with temperature controls. Supplier and customer sites with varying conditions.