This position is part of the QuEST (Quality Every. Single. Time) Special Operations Team, which is responsible for leading a quality transformation and reshaping the way United Healthcare approaches quality. We are looking for process improvement and quality professionals who are not only able to identify and solve opportunities, but also tell that compelling story to senior leaders with facts and data. Your focus will be transforming the organizational processes through implementation, adaptation and integration of core customer focused quality principles and their respective applications. Our team drives the day to day execution of our quality operating model, systems strategy, implementing statistical process control on critical to quality metrics, applying lean/six sigma/continuous improvement/quality engineering/design engineering principles and leading various quality initiatives throughout the organization to improve our customer experience.
The Quality Process Improvement Engineer will be integral in this transformation, within our QuEST Special Operations team, driving new quality perspectives within our Customer Focused Quality mission. In this role you will lead the identification, application and implementation of customer focused quality principles and approaches within a highly matrixed transactional environment. You will be required to assess processes, identify opportunities for improvement, implement long term permanent corrective actions, develop and deliver new process designs with quality built-in, and deliver clear and concise business cases for process improvement. The Quality Process Improvement Engineer is responsible for working with Business Operations Partners to identify ways in which we can reduce wastes and deliver the right outcomes to our customers, the first time, every time. Our Quality Process Improvement Engineers are responsible for defining business requirements, producing supporting process documentation, telling a compelling story and driving customer-centric process improvements. The Quality Process Improvement Engineer is required to apply critical thinking, problem-solving methodologies, statistical analysis and a systemic approach towards design/implementation of transactional process improvements. In this role you will be a part of a strategic shift that requires the ability to lead, mentor, guide, train, and support other project resources within the QuEST Quality Teams and effectively lead and manage work efforts whether value stream mapping, problem solving, FMEA or end-to-end business process improvements.
Individuals within the QuEST Special Operations team are responsible for process re-design, implementation of process improvements, effective collaboration, innovation, problem solving, change management, storytelling and communication at the executive level as well as with front line staff. We serve as change agents tasked with developing a new culture of quality, identifying constituent pain points (process, product and/or technology), and implementing opportunities to improve the constituent experience.
You’ll enjoy the flexibility to telecommute* from anywhere within United States as you take on some tough challenges.
- Effectively assess processes, identify opportunities for improvement, quantify impact and translate customer needs into efficient, effective and streamlined processes within our business operations
- Execute transformational quality initiatives through the application of Value Stream Mapping, Systemic Problem Solving, Statistical Data Analysis and End-to-End Process Improvements including process re-design where applicable
- Review, Analyze and Report Statistical findings through critical thought and storytelling of key findings and opportunities to all levels within a matrixed organization
- Liaise and work closely with the QuEST Line of Business and Provider leads and team members, Operations team, and other business partners to own the delivery of short-term containment and long-term strategic projects to support the QuEST mission and vision
- Interact with stakeholders to share diagnostics, build future state process designs, integrate and build quality error proofing into processes and present implementation recommendations with a balance between short term gains and strategic imperatives
- Provide leadership on business process improvement and drive forward a culture of continuous improvement and efficiency
- Partner to identify critical to quality metrics, and support the operationalization of monitoring and management to deliver improved performance across business processes
- Leverage a broad base of quality engineering tools and problem-solving methodologies to deliver bottom-line impacting and continual process improvements
- Acquire an understanding of and document current state process within QuEST as well as within business operations
- Analyze processes, data and systems to identify improvement opportunities and make improvement recommendations
- Evaluate downstream business systems, processes, and / or organizational impacts and identify risks and barriers
- Create effective and compelling visual materials/presentations that support the process improvement impact to the organization and adequately represent the impact to quality, cost and time
- Develop and maintain work plans, time schedules, project task lists, and status reports
- Provide direction, guidance, and support to other project team members
- Define, track, and monitor key success measures associated with projects
- Successfully deploy and support change management and appropriate training plans
- Develop and maintain appropriate relationships with all stakeholders to facilitate the successful accomplishment of key quality initiatives. Ensure effective communication with all internal stakeholders throughout the project
- Build and present business cases for Executive Leadership review and approval, including estimates on benefit, effort, resource needs, and timing
You’ll be rewarded and recognized for your performance in an environment that will challenge you and give you clear direction on what it takes to succeed in your role as well as provide development for other roles you may be interested in.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience and education
- 7+ years of experience in process improvement, design/re-design and implementation of permanent and continuous corrective actions
- 7+ years of experience leading problem-solving efforts with cross-functional teams to delivering business improvements stemming from complex, large scale business problems
- 5+ years of experience driving quality implementation, standardization, and adoption within a complex/matrixed environment
- 5+ years of experience delivering process re-design and/or best practice implementation, utilizing Lean, Continuous Improvement, Quality/Systems Engineering and Six Sigma approaches to achieve results
- 5+ years of specific and successful experience using Value Stream Mapping, Kaizen, Process (Gemba) walks, FMEA, and systemic problem-solving techniques to identify, prioritize, and communicate continuous improvement opportunities
- 5+ years of experience influencing people through clear/concise storytelling at all levels in the organization on key decisions and strategies to drive change
- 5+ years of experience in a corporate setting
- If you need to enter a work site for any reason, you will be required to screen for symptoms using the ProtectWell mobile app, Interactive Voice Response (i.e., entering your symptoms via phone system) or similar UnitedHealth Group-approved symptom screener. When in a UnitedHealth Group building, employees are required to wear a mask in common areas. In addition, employees must comply with any state and local masking orders
- Advanced degree in engineering, business, technology, and/or health care related field
- 5+ years of experience in health care operations or a transactional process environment
- 5+ years of experience in a corporate setting within a corporate headquarter environment
- Demonstrated project and/or program management experience
- Proven application of quality engineering, lean/six sigma and/or process improvement principles
- Proven leadership skills including mobilizing and leading people in cross functional teams, with excellent interpersonal and organization/management skills and an ability to motivate teams to accomplish shared goals under stringent timelines
- Self-starter that demonstrates accountability and ownership of their work, capable of precisely communicating by providing relevant information to different levels of leadership and cross functional groups through appropriate communication channels, and a team player willing to freely share knowledge, resources, and information
- Data driven, yet comfortable with ambiguity and able to balance a bias for action with an understanding of appropriate risk
- Ability to prioritize, run multiple parallel projects and deliver on time with outstanding quality of content and form