Responsible for the manufacture of all items and components for production programs at our Ashaway site. Ensures that high quality products and services are delivered on time and within budget to both external and internal customers. Assists operations personnel in executing ERP system set up and execution while maintaining full compliance with all company quality system procedures as documented. Responsibilities include developing management and production plans, supporting vendor and subcontractor selection, and participating in make versus buy decisions. Provides leadership and direction to Operations Program Managers (OPMs), Manufacturing Engineers, Cost Estimators, Production Planners, Test Engineers, and Production Supervisors. Guides operations personnel the use of appropriate capability models and tracking tools. Standardizes planning, scheduling, and reporting methodology across programs, while making appropriate adjustments for program size and complexity. Encourages the use of lean/six sigma techniques to smooth production flow and eliminate waste and inefficiency. Participates in resource planning to prepare the organization for new and follow-on business. Maintains effective communication with direct reports, senior management, and suppliers through the supply chain manager to ensure resources are identified and assigned as needed to meet program requirements including technical, schedule and cost performance.
- Provide leadership and guidance to Operations personnel on their assigned programs. Responsibilities include planning, coordination and leadership to ensure cost, schedule and technical performance goals are met.
- Implement and monitor production control processes, including material and fabrication efforts; provide oversight of internal and contract manufacturing activities; establish realistic cost and schedule requirements consistent with contract needs.
- Provide production engineering support to ensure development of quality manufacturing engineering plans, special tooling, and test equipment.
- Build and maintain strong and effective relationships with customers, program managers (PMs), functional leads, and management to secure compliance with schedules, resolve problems, and coordinate tasks.
- Participate in weekly status meetings. Monitor progress against master schedule. Review scrap & rework costs, and impact of yield loss on deliveries. Facilitate problem resolution. Guide preparation of status reports.
- Provide direction to the organization to ensure assignment of resources needed to execute current contracts. Resources include personnel, space, equipment, and associated capital investment.
- Develop and/or contribute to proposals, design reviews, and program status reviews (PSRs). Participate in reviews with management and customers.
- Develop and implement plans and strategies for expanding production capabilities to meet demand.
- Ensure effective management of facilities and maintenance to assure adequate floor space and equipment are in place to support program needs.
- Develop and champion new production concepts and/or technologies. Responsible for establishing or improving upon existing processes, equipment, and systems while drawing upon industry expertise, knowledge, and best practices.
- Identify and resolve supply chain issues (capacity, quality, delivery, obsolescence) before they impact production schedules. Encourage OPMs to involve engineering, procurement, quality, and other functional leads to minimize response time.
- Hire, develop and retain talent; supervise, coach and remove barriers for operations personnel.
- Establish personnel evaluation systems that emphasize individual and collective performance goals and objectives. Provide input to training, development, and compensation plans for employees.
- Promote cordial relationships and foster and maintain a favorable business profile with customers, suppliers, co-workers, industry and professional associations, government agencies and the local community.
Education and Experience:
- Minimum Education and Experience Required: Bachelor’s Degree in Technical or Business discipline and twelve (12) years of Manufacturing Program Management or equivalent leadership experience in DoD business; or Master’s Degree in Technical or Business discipline and ten (10) years of Manufacturing Program Management or equivalent leadership experience in DoD business.
- Knowledge and understanding of Program Management, Operations, and Engineering; and three (3) to five (5) years of experience in managing operations personnel.
Certifications and Licenses:
- Program Management and APICS certifications desired but not required
- Lean Six Sigma Green Belt desired but not required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to plan, organize, communicate, direct, and mentor others on the day-to-day activities of multiple production programs.
- Ability to identify and analyze problems; find alternative solutions to complex problems; determine objectives and strategies; coordinate with cross-functional teams; and evaluate the progress and outcome of operational plans.
- Ability to analyze, interpret and report accurate schedule / cost status information in accordance with departmental procedures.
- Ability to interface with both technical and non-technical personnel; and to effectively present information to senior management and customers.
- Ability to understand and evaluate technical and non-technical documents relating to all aspects of assigned programs.
- Basic knowledge of Government FAR and DFAR regulations as pertaining to material procurement and management.
- Working knowledge of MRP systems.
- Well organized; consistently maintains a high level of productivity; ability to manage priorities; high degree of flexibility; ability to meet deadlines and multi-task; detail oriented.
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to perform multi-faceted projects in conjunction with normal activities.
- Ability to speak, read, and write English well and have strong oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent computer skills, working knowledge of standard computer products and devices including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, etc.), the internet and the ability to comprehend and learn new software.