Job Description Details
Section 1: Responsibility Summary
Responsible for process improvement, methods and measurement, and capital projects for the domiciled fulfillment center. The role may also be asked to support these initiatives at other facilities throughout the 13 building network. This role will also support larger automation engineering capital projects as necessary.
- Partner with site operations and provide assessments of operations for improvement opportunities related to safety, service, productivity, cost reduction, and/or process simplification.
- Effectively use tools such as Lean, Six Sigma, Kaizen, Root cause analysis, 5S, Total Quality Management, Etc.
- Continuously dig for process improvement opportunities and work with the appropriate stakeholder group to address these opportunities.
- With the site leadership team, create and drive a culture of continuous process improvement.
- Work with and utilize the black belt team as needed.
Methods and Measurement
- Document standard operating procedures and ensure the adherence to these documented procedures.
- Define and share best practices between sites.
- Develop and apply labor standards.
- Update time standards as conditions change and new processes/hardware is implemented.
- Own and administer Labor Management.
- Recommend and assess technology to improve efficiency and/or safety.
- Recognize operational issues/challenges and recommend pragmatic solutions.
- Work with the operations team to gain consensus on benefits and potential process changes.
- Develop and present fact-based business cases.
- Oversee site capital projects to include vendor(s) relationships, internal cross-functional support, schedule execution, spending, and benefit realization.
- Assist with the implementation of corporate projects.
- Spend a significant amount of time on the floor during all operational hours to gain a deep understanding of each work area.
- Active participant of the site leadership team
- Work with reporting and analysis and site production planners on productivity reporting.
- Assist with budgeting and resource planning
- Proactively seek out educational opportunities related to warehousing, distribution, automation, technology, safety, transportation, Lean, Six Sigma, project management, etc.
- Other projects/tasks assigned by the Manager.
- Interface with the site operational team, site maintenance team, corp engineering, black belts, IT, and safety
- Share best practices with peers across the network
Section 2: Key Accountabilities
Key Accountability Guidelines
Process Improvement - Partner with site operations and through operational observations, provide assessments for process improvement opportunities related to safety, service, productivity, cost reduction, and/or process simplification and work with the operations team to implement the improvement opportunities. Track results compared to the baseline to ensure the desired results were achieved. Modify standards and processes if necessary to reflect the improved conditions. Work with black belt team as needed.
Methods and Measurement – Identify the most efficient methods that ensure the highest possible productivity while ensuring the safety of our associates. Document methods and procedures. Develop labor standards for documented methods and procedures. Share best practices between sites and ensure consistency across all sites with respect to standards development and documentation formats. Ensure that methods are followed and standard procedures are adhered to.
Labor Management - Own and administer Manhattan’s Labor Management (LM) application. Train on the effective usage of LM. Ensure LM is being used effectively at each site. Maintain standards in LM.
Capital Projects - Recommend and assess technology to improve efficiency and/or safety. Develop and present fact-based business cases. Oversee site capital projects to include vendor(s) relationships, internal cross-functional support, schedule execution, spending, and benefit realization. Assist with the implementation of corporate projects.
General Site Support – Active participant of the site leadership team. Assist with budgeting and resource planning. Ensure process improvement opportunities are considered when developing forward-looking plans.
Section 3: Critical Skills/Knowledge
Proficiency in utilizing various labor standard techniques
Not constrained by paradigms or the status quo
Proven strong problem solving skills
Expertise with data mining and analytical skills
Firm knowledge of fundamental statistical concepts
Excellent communication & presentation skills
Ability to effectively interact with a diverse stakeholder group that may include front line associates and all levels up to and including senior executives.
Ability to get results working through others.
Extensive supply chain knowledge with an aptitude to learn new areas/technologies/processes as required.
Project management skills
Section 4: QUALIFICATIONS
A BS degree in Industrial Engineering or Operations Research or related disciple is required or equivalent combination of education and experience.
MBA or MS preferred
Maynard Operational Sequence Technique (MOST) Certified
Project Management Experience
Lean or Six Sigma training
15-25% Travel may be required
Experience: 8 or more years of industrial engineering experience in high volume warehousing or distribution and successful demonstration of the responsibilities and skillset listed above.