The Operations Engineering team supports production and launch programs through strategic planning, optimization of production processes, and alignment of resources to tasks. We are looking for experienced engineers to lead cross-functional and multi-disciplinary teams that optimize production, test, launch, and recovery operations in a fast-paced environment. We are seeking engineering leaders who can lead teams to apply principles of operations engineering, operations research, industrial engineering, and data science to complex optimization and simulation problems. We are seeking qualified engineers who can conduct complex problem analysis, develop executive options, and steer strategic decisions within production.
- Conduct operations engineering at a strategic level by optimizing resources, schedules, and risk under uncertainty across SpaceX.
- Develop advanced tools to analyze delivery, capacity, costs vs benefits, supply chain, and operations to guide executive decisions in anticipation of change.
- Leverage operational data to identify trends, propose leading indicators, and provide predictive information to steer executive decisions.
- Work as part of inter-disciplinary and cross-functional teams to develop and manage production strategy, mitigate future production risks, and seize emerging opportunities to improve quality, output, safety, and cost.
- Lead development of process flow models to analyze system behavior and synchronize output across all elements of the company.
- Identify operational challenges within the organization, lead problem formulation, determine root cause, and develop creative and effective solutions.
- Develop key performance measures, and identify decision points and actions to optimize production to meet demand, ensuring measured parameters correlate with overall company objectives.
- Collaborate with cross-departmental partners in supply chain, engineering, operations, and accounting groups to synchronize efforts.
- Capture best practices of production systems and manage organizational knowledge and lessons-learned.
- Provide mentorship and guide development of other engineers, providing them with opportunities to grow in their field.
- Bachelor's degree in an engineering discipline.
- 4+ years of practical experience in analysis and modeling of systems, including but not limited to use of Excel, SQL and/or Python/R.
PREFERRED SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE:
- Experience or education in management science and engineering, operations engineering, operations research, or industrial engineering.
- Ability to work in fast-paced, high stress environments.
- Excellent written and executive communication skills.
- Proficiency with statistics, data analysis, cost/benefit analysis, and visualization.
- Experience with CAD software; inventory, production, and capacity planning (including MRP/ERP systems); PowerBI; and discrete event modeling tools.
- Experience as an industrial, operations, process or manufacturing engineer in a developmental manufacturing environment, including experience in aerospace production.
- Experience with Lean, six sigma, and related production principles.
- Experience leading multi-disciplinary and cross-functional teams working on strategic problems.
- Ability to work autonomously and prioritize work.
- Must be able to work extended hours and weekends as needed, including occasional short-notice domestic travel.