The Senior Quality Engineer is responsible for providing on time support to our internal or external customers to develop and sustain the quality of Tesla’s products. You will assess risks, engineer the necessary quality controls and prevention methods to achieve production targets and ultimately deliver a safe and reliable product to enable Tesla’s mission to accelerate the word towards sustainable energy. A successful candidate must be a professional problem solver, data driven, with quality and customer mindset, and have the personal drive and stamina for relentless, continual improvement (personally and professionally).
- Accountable for the quality of incoming components, quality controls and assurance in production process, root cause analysis and resolution of problems impacting internal and external customers, continuous improvement and risk mitigation.
- Drive cross functional teams to achieve targets for field reliability, scrap and first pass yield.
- Development of manufacturing requirements, quality standards and product quality plans to assure products will meet expectations of our target customers.
- Deployment of manufacturing level requirements to subsystems, assemblies & components to assure clear focus on design and customer needs using APQP methodology.
- Identification of critical requirements to assure proper supplier and production focus on critical needs.
- Leading development of FMEAs (Design & Process) for development teams to identify and address critical risks.
- Support development of manufacturing equipment, controls and test plans to address risks identified in FMEA.
- Participate in design reviews to assure product subsystem quality, manufacturability, reliability, etc.
- Assist development with dimensional analysis, statistical tolerancing and other methods to investigate the effects of part and process variability on system performance.
- Support process capability analyses to investigate the ability of suppliers and production processes to meet defined specifications and quality standards.
- Design effective experiments through DOE or other methods to support design and process teams in investigation of various alternatives to resolve quality issues.
- Manage and facilitate the root cause & corrective actions system through tracking and validation of issues and support in root cause analysis through facilitating brainstorming, use of lean methodologies, hypothesis testing, design of experiments, DMAIC, 8D, etc.
- Continuously improve/develop a proactive quality control system to effectively address and control product quality for current and future products.
- Analyze, develop, process, and implement Engineering Changes.
- The successful candidate for this position must have a broad technical background with the ability to work with engineering, manufacturing, service and suppliers across a wide variety of issues. Strong interpersonal and communication skills are an absolute requirement to establish effective working relationships within Tesla and outside.
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical, Mechanical, Materials or Industrial Engineering.
- MS degree in engineering, plus a Six Sigma, CQE-ASQ or equivalent certification are required.
- 2+ years of experience with high voltage batteries and vehicles manufacturing.
- Specific training and demonstrated success in applying design for quality, problem-solving methodologies, FMEA, process capability analysis, hypothesis testing, DoE and SPC.
- Strong background and demonstrated success applying statistical methods and use of related SW such as Minitab, JMP or similar.
- Data mining, databases and scripting experience (e.g. MySQL, Python).
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.