The Supplier Quality Engineer is responsible for driving exceptional supplier performance thus creating a world-class supply base that exceeds expectations for the business group and the global Supply Chain team. Specific focus will be supplier analysis, development activities, production support, part qualifications, improvement activities, corrective actions, and new product introductions to ensure component parts and assemblies are consistently manufactured in total compliance to specified requirements. Simultaneously and in conjunction with the Strategic Purchasing Group this position will support the balanced improvement of quality, cost and service, all while operating within Nordson’s Lean manufacturing principles. Essential Job Duties and Responsibilities * Track the supplier’s performance indicators, based on their scorecards and rankings, to facilitate and develop the supply base’s ability to consistently meet or exceed our defined expectations.
- Routinely provide performance communication to the supply base and internal personnel to insure the proper use of suppliers based on performance. * Develop the supplier’s ability to support Nordson’s Lean manufacturing principles and problem avoidance processes through the use of best in class quality, delivery and lead-time performance processes. * Drive a systematic problem solving and process improvement approach utilizing Lean Six Sigma principles. * Function as a technical liaison between suppliers, engineering, SCM group, business group, and manufacturing sites, to resolve supplier related issues.
- Assure supplier’s corrective and preventive action plans are developed and executed in compliance with Nordson expectations. Report on the status of corrective actions, as required, to manufacturing, business group and executive management. * Perform supplier on-site assessments and assistance visits for supplier selection, to improve supplier performance, and achieve Nordson’s balanced improvement objectives. * Develop and implement (APQP) Advanced Product Quality Planning for new and existing purchase parts.
- Review supplier processes, collaborate with suppliers on process improvement, and value enhancement opportunities. * Support and utilize the Strategic Group’s activities and direction on supplier development, risk management, reduction and consolidation. * Promote early supplier involvement at project development stages. * Support and coordinate with, the Strategic Group’s new product activities and direction to optimize the transition from new product development to production.
- Provide direction to receiving inspection including procurement of tools to enhance measurement capability. * Other duties as assigned. Education and Experience Requirements Education * Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or other technical related field required. Experience * Minimum 5 years experience in quality engineering, related engineering field, or supply chain required.
Skills and Abilities * Working knowledge of quality control tools such as root cause analysis and basic SPC including CpK analysis. * High level of audit and problem solving skills. * Strong written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate effectively at any level. * Ability to work in a fast paced environment with competing priorities; ability to multi-task.
- Experience with Lean Manufacturing in a production environment, working knowledge of Six Sigma techniques, and ASQ certification preferred. * Detail-oriented. Working Conditions and Physical Demands Office environment. To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily.