The Supplier Quality Engineer (SQE) executes the Quality strategy to ensure continual production of products consistent with established industry standards, government regulations, as well as company and customer requirements. Owns supplier quality, leads sub-teams and supplier meetings in supplier risk management, supplier deep-dive process control, ship-to-control, gap analysis and closure. The SQE leads supplier quality performance improvement strategies using statistical treatment of data, process capability, trend analysis and applying project management techniques to improve supplier quality. The SQE will create and maintaining category specific plans and goals requiring quality system policies, procedures and statistical techniques. SQEs are responsible for verifying supplier quality standards are in accordance with the Sleep Number QMS requirements. The SQE serves as the liaison with suppliers, drives continuous improvements, and collaborates with other personnel in a team environment. The SQE identifies technical problems with suppliers and is the leader for supplier corrective action requests. The SQE manages process controls, supplier quality performance and measures readiness throughout the New Product Introduction cycle. SQE will create proactive Risk Mitigation strategies with suppliers and internal cross-functional teams to ensure product compliance.
The Supplier Quality Engineer performs a wide range of duties including but not limited to the following:
- Managing and developing suppliers, ensuring optimized levels of quality, cost and delivery performance driving continuous improvement to maximize business performance.
- Lead or Participate in process improvement collaboration, execution, and training with all aspects of Supply Chain.
- Complete supplier Quality Management System audits for purposes of approve & maintain, and to work with suppliers to close out any audit findings.
- The SQE performs regular supplier audits to ensure compliance with requirements as well as actively leading supplier development.
- Work closely with Procurement and Engineering to establish the Supply Chain structure to meet the requirements of the full product lifecycle of Sleep Number products.
- Provide support for product development and NPI, through APQP activities and ensuring acceptable PPAP packages on time, right first time to ensure flawless launch.
- Support warranty, value engineering and manufacturing process assessment and development activities.
- Support Design for Manufacture and Assembly activities between Sleep Number and suppliers.
- Manage quality issues in conjunction with key stakeholders, resolving day to day problems, ensuring effective containment and problem resolution for all non-conformances using CAPA and SCAR processes.
- Establish and maintain consistent supplier metrics (process capability, control charts, productivity, measurement quality) for monitoring and reporting through Performance Scorecards.
- Minimum of 5+ years in a supplier quality role, in a lean manufacturing environment
- B.S. Engineering required (M.S. preferred)
- Lean Six Sigma/Green Belt certification a plus
- CQM/CQE/PMP a plus
- Experience with Quality Management Systems (QMS)
- Experience with Advanced Product Quality Plan (APQP)
- Experience with Purchased Part Approval Process (PPAP)
- Experience with DMAIC Methodology
- Audit Experience with QMS, Process and Compliance required
- Ability to read technical drawings and specifications
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- MS Project, Visio, Sharepoint, PowerBI and standard Office applications
- Statistical Analysis Methods, Design of Experiments (JMP, MiniTab or similar)
- Change Control management
- Critical Path thinking
- Highly effective Project Management skills