Teledyne RD Instruments
Plans, organizes, directs, and coordinates activities of personnel engaged in production planning and the purchasing of materials, equipment, and supplies for the business unit. Develops and implements activities in purchasing and planning to meet goals, quality and cost objectives. Selects, develops and leads personnel to ensure the efficient operation of the purchasing and planning functions and develops schedules and manpower requirements for assigned areas. Prioritizes schedules based on multiple factors and customer requirements. Plans and administers procedures and budgets. Tasks and assignments tend to be highly complex, non-routine and/or require a greater level of expertise. Receives assignments in the form of objectives with goals and process to meet goals outlined. Duties are performed under very limited supervision.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Analyzes market and delivery conditions to determine present and future material availability.
- Assumes leadership role in managing key strategic supplier relationships.
- Works with Sales, Engineering, and Manufacturing to find new raw materials and/or alternate raw materials to meet customer needs.
- Develops action plans and assigns tasks to execute departmental and business unit goals, including cost savings, inventory reduction and on time delivery.
- Ensures availability of materials in the supply chain, as required per production schedules, and maintains inventory at acceptable levels while minimizing excess and obsolete inventory levels.
- Evaluates vendor quotations to ensure the utilization of appropriate negotiation and purchasing techniques to ensure quality, price, delivery, and service.
- Implements, manages, and monitors procurement reporting systems to meet company requirements.
- Recruits and maintains suppliers that provide high quality products and services at a better price while maintaining the highest code of ethics and conduct.
- Approves purchase orders and change notices.
- Reviews purchase order claims and contracts for conformance to company policy.
- Prepares and reviews contracts, bids, proposals, and vendor agreements for legal correctness, price, and acceptability of items to specifications.
- Oversees all activities related to procurement of a commodity, from intent to purchase through delivery of commodity.
- Assigns procurement requests to the appropriate personnel.
- Negotiates or supervises the negotiation of complex requests for equipment, supplies, and services from suppliers and subcontractors.
- Directs subordinates to achieve assignments using established guidelines, procedures and policies by providing leadership to a unit or group of employees, assigning tasks and checking work at frequent intervals to ensure production goals are met within organization goals of budget, time requirements and high level of quality.
- Generally supervises lower level supervisors and/or professional staff, providing guidance to employees according to established policies and management guidance.
- Ensure that department meets company and corporate procurement metrics and targets.
- Prepares reports.
- Identifies obstacles to achieving business goals and provides solutions or seeks assistance.
- Ensures the working environment is clean, organized and safe for employees at all times. Understands and ensures staff complies with all safety and environmental policies and practices.
- Works to avoid erroneous decisions or failure to achieve results that may cause scrap, rework, use of excessive overtime, and/or delays in schedules.
- Prepares and presents budgetary recommendations.
- Frequently interacts with subordinate supervisors, outside customers, and functional peer groups at various management levels. Interaction normally requires the ability to gain cooperation of others, conducting presentations of technical information concerning specific project/schedules.
- Daily availability to include evenings and weekends when necessary to reach goals and deadlines.
This job provides general supervision to a functional area which may include direct supervision of exempt and non-exempt personnel. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include providing leadership to employees, interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Bachelor's degree (B.A.) from four-year college or university in a related field and 10-15 years of directly related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- APICS or similar purchasing certification is a plus.
- Experience in high paced electronics manufacturing environment.
- Excellent team communication, human relations, and organizational skills.
- Excellent time management, written and verbal communications skills.
- Ability to rapidly learn new systems and procedures.
- Trained in LEAN principles. Six-Sigma a plus.
- Strong negotiating and communication skills.
- Ability to consolidate and present complex data related to supply chain activities to identify current procurement issues and to guide future procurement decisions.
- Ability to convert sales forecasts into procurement strategies and inventory level projections.
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency in MS and ERP systems.