Most people know what it means to improve a process, but which improvement methodology is best for your organization: Lean, Six Sigma, theory of constraints (TOC), PDCA (plan, do, check, act) or another framework?
Joe De Feo, CEO of the Juran Institute, has worked with thousands of organizations to implement every process improvement methodology from JIT and inventory management to quality circles and Lean Six Sigma. De Feo also has been fortunate to work with one of the greats of business management and the namesake of the Juran Institute, Dr. Joseph M. Juran.
De Feo brings his wealth of experience to this interview, in which he explains:
- What is Lean? (1:49)
- What toolsets (e.g., Kaizen, kanban, theory of constraints) does Lean include? (5:05)
- How do organizations implementing Lean enterprise refer to it? (5:59)
- Is Lean Six Sigma the same as Six Sigma; what are the differences? (7:19)
- How do companies vary their tool use over time? (13:13)
- How do TOC and just in time (JIT) fit with Lean Six Sigma? (14:41)
- Do companies implement Toyota Production System today? (16:27)
- Do companies implement total quality management (TQM) anymore? (19:03)
- What is Dr. Joseph Juran’s quality legacy? (21:59)
- What was it like to work with Steve Jobs during his first time as CEO of Apple Computer in the 1980s? (30:43; see second video below)
- What is the difference between a process improvement methodology and a business improvement methodology? (36:51)
- How do overhead departments – that do not have the ability to grow their toplines – use Lean and Six Sigma? (41:37)
- How does a company choose the right methodology for its business? (42:52)
- What process improvement methodology is best for a healthcare organization? (51:37)
- What process improvement methodology is best for a facilities department? (51:37)
- What process improvement methodology is best for an information technology (IT) department? (56:25)
- What process improvement methodology is best for a customer service department? (59:27)
- Can a company choose one improvement methodology then move to another methodology? (60:01)
- What process improvement methodology is best for a financial services company? (66:00)
- How is process innovation different from new product development? (68:00)
- Is it important for every process improvement initiative to tie to the top- or bottom-line finances of an organization? (71:00)
- What is your response to Lean Six Sigma naysayers at organizations? (74:00)
Steve Jobs Remembering Dr. Joseph Juran
About Joe De Feo
Joe De Feo, CEO and executive coach at Juran Institute, a globally recognized training and consulting firm that enables organizations from any industry to learn the tools and techniques for managing quality and performance excellence.
Mr. De Feo is the author of three books including Juran Institute’s Six Sigma Breakthrough and Beyond: Quality Performance Breakthrough Methods, Juran’s Quality Handbook, Sixth Edition: The Complete Guide to Performance Excellence and Juran’s Quality Planning and Analysis for Enterprise Quality.