iSixSigma

1.5 Sigma Shift

Six Sigma – iSixSigma Forums Old Forums General 1.5 Sigma Shift

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Vicky

Hi there!
    It would be really nice if someone could provide me a link to get the paper “Statistical Tolerancing: The State of the Art. Part 3. Shifts and Drifts”? I am interested in understanding how this 1.5 sigma shift was derived.

Thnx for ur time

Darth
    Participant

Either review the gazillion threads on this Forum where the topic has been discussed or get it directly from Dr. Harry’s mouth in his book entitled “Resolving the Mysteries of Six Sigma” 2003 where he derives the 1.46 shift (rounded to 1.5 because it sounds better).

Robert Butler
    Participant

It is a very old paper and frankly I don’t think you would find it of much value in answering your question.  It’s age probably precludes any chance of a link.  The only way I found it was to copy it out of a volume over at the local university library. Of the very small handfull of papers/articles on the subject the best one is the paper by Davis Bothe
    Statistical Reason for the 1.5 Sigma Shift –Quality Engineering 14(3), 479-487 (2002)
      If you are looking for a general summary of the articles (or lack thereof) the post below may be of some use.
    https://www.isixsigma.com/forum/showmessage.asp?messageID=39663

Darth
    Participant

Robert,
    The best source of info is still the original book by Harry.  It is written by the person who has developed and promoted the 1.5 shift and any insight gathered that way has a lot more value than interpretations or rationalizations by those seeking to explain what Harry had in mind.  He is very specific in his assumptions, constraints and mathematical derivation.  Explanations by others or musings about what he meant are pretty useless if you can read it directly. 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘General’ is closed to new topics and replies.