iSixSigma

1 sided vs 2 sided hypothesis testing

Six Sigma – iSixSigma Forums Old Forums General 1 sided vs 2 sided hypothesis testing

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Whitehurst
    Participant

Hello,  Can anyone tell me if there are any advantags to using a one sided test as opposed to a two sided hypothesis test please?
    Cheers
    Joe

Six Sigma guy

it depends on what you want to do.. usually you would perform one tailed if you would like to determine a difference/significance in a particular direction( higher or lower) two tailed is performed if you like to determine if at all any difference/significance is present irrespective of the direction..generally said its better to do a two tailed test followed by a one tailed test..
    Cheers

Whitehurst
    Participant

That is part of what I am trying to understand.  If I first do a two sided test and the result is significant, showing there is a difference. Then based on the results, I do a one sided test, do both one and two sided results always come out significant or not significant providing the correct Ha direction has been set for the one sided tested?
    Hope this makes sense!
    Joe

Erik L
    Participant

Joe,
    It will always be easier to reject the null, and assume the alternative state with a directional alternative vs. a not equal alternative.  The best way to think about it would be to take the significance level you are interested in and then partition it against a reference null distribution.  Assuming 5% significance, and a one sided alternative, all 5 % is cumulatively allocated from the lower tail (assuming a l.t. alternative).  If it was a not equal alternative, you would equally partition 2.5% to either tail to make the delineation between signal and noise…The conservative approach is to default to the two-tailed alternative (mitigating alpha inflation-especially with lower sample sizes), unless there is a true reason that you are interested in a directional alternative.  Hope that helps with your question.
    Regards,
    Erik   

Whitehurst
    Participant

Thanks for this Erik

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘General’ is closed to new topics and replies.