iSixSigma

10 bucket rule

Six Sigma – iSixSigma Forums Old Forums General 10 bucket rule

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Mike Archer
    Participant

Hello.  From what I understand about the 10 bucket rule is that you take the tolerance range of your process divided by 10, and that should be the approximate resolution of your measurement system.  What are the consequences of too much resolution?
    Thanks,
    Mike

BB Wanna B
    Participant

The only downfall that I see in too much resolution is cost.  I have ran into situations where the 10 units rule of thumb is not enough depending on your tolerance.  You need to be careful basing everything off of tolerance, you can get burned!  What you really should be looking for is something that is sensitive enough to detect a change in your process, regardless if in or out of spec.  Hope this helps.

Chad Taylor
    Participant

Mike
    ANSI standards recommend 5% of the part tolerance be used as gage tolerance, with an optional 5% for wear allowance. This gives you a 5-10% recommended tolerance for the gage.
    For Thread gages many gage companies have posted on their websites gage selection charts for gages that best fit the class & tolerance of thread being machined. Vermont Gage is one of these companies, for example
    Hope this helps
    Chad Taylor

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The forum ‘General’ is closed to new topics and replies.