iSixSigma

10 good rules for using this Forum

Six Sigma – iSixSigma Forums Old Forums General 10 good rules for using this Forum

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Sloan
    Participant

Here is some basic advice for first-time forum users (and long time users too):

1.     If you are COMPLETELY new to Six Sigma and Lean, please do some basic research in the blue area on the left side of your screen before asking questions. We are here to help you, but we expect you to put in a little effort of your own.
    2.     Don’t ask a question that could more easily be answered by doing a Google search. (i.e. “When was Mikel Harry born?” “What is a control chart?” “Who was Demming?”) Asking these types of questions just shows that you may be too lazy to do any thinking for yourself and want all of the answers just packaged neatly and laid at your feat. The irony is that it is probably more trouble to find this site, find the forum and ask your question than it would be to do a Google search on your topic to begin with.
    3.     Don’t throw pebbles into Stan’s cage to agitate him. Yes, it is sometimes fun to watch him get upset, but we only have one Stan and we don’t want to lose him to an embolism.
    4.     Don’t post your homework questions and ask others to feed you the answers. If you are having trouble with a homework question, give us a flavor of what you’re struggling with and we’ll try to help you find a way to think about it so you can solve it for yourself.
    5.     Pay attention to the post dates of the topic threads that you respond to. It amuses us when someone puts their two cents in on a four-year-old topic.
    6.     If you post a response to someone who has offered to email information, you have to include your email address in your request! I’m sure there are folks who believe that the email address they provided when they posted their reply is visible to the public. It is not. If you want someone to send you something, post your email address in the body of your message.
    7.     We welcome questions from people from all over the world. However, if you struggle with English, please have a friend or colleague help you word your question properly, or post it in your native language. There will surely be someone who speaks your language that may be able to help. If we cannot understand your question, we cannot help you.
    8.     Don’t make Darth put down his cocktail and come in off the beach to answer a stupid question. Do your homework first and he will provide a lucid answer backed by experience and perhaps some wisdom passed on from “Dead Ed.”
    9.     Don’t ask if your on-line Black Belt certification from “Bob’s House of Meat (and Lean/Six Sigma training) will land you that $200,000 job in corporate America. It won’t. Certification is a tiny part of the equation. Experience coupled with solid, verifiable results matters more than where your certificate came from. You can fake a certificate but you can’t fake experience (not for very long anyway).
    10.  If someone does take time to answer your carefully considered and well written question, please say “Thank you.” The animals in this zoo appreciate positive reinforcement. It’s part of what makes them human (or nearly so in some cases).  

Have I left out anything important?

Taylor
    Participant

You Forgot Hiku Wednesday……………………Other than that I think we can shut down the forum looks like you covered everything in one tight little (almost Carnell like, not enough mis spelled words) form.

Vallee
    Participant

Thank you!

Ken Feldman
    Participant

Outlier, I just had to put down the drink and Crackberry to come in and respond. These 10 rules are so much better than the ones posted by the Forum Police. Life would be so much easier for everyone if they were complied with. Good job. One small note though…Dead Ed is spelled Deming with one m and feat is feet.

Sloan
    Participant

Ooooh, good catch on that “feat” thing. Too much listening to Little Feat, Dixie Chicken. I hope you noticed the quote marks around the, “Who was Demming?” question.
    Thanks for coming in off the beach to respond.

Mikel

Very nice.The only thing I would change is rule # 3 should be rule # 1.Addendum to rule # 7 – If your name is Robert S, don’t pretend to be
    Japanese and put together your impression of a Japanese guy
    struggling with english. It is culturally insensitive and you don’t really
    pull it off well anyway.A+

Ken Feldman
    Participant

Outlier, good one on the “Demming” thing. Still had the buzz from the Tequila Martini(s).

Vallee
    Participant

Darth,You know the forum has had this discussion before. Alcohol kills off the weak brain cells and lets the good ones do all the thinking… so there should have been no reason to be fuzzy with the buzz.HF Chris Vallee

MrMHead
    Participant

Sometimes I think that some of these questions are thrown out there just to stir things up.
    “At what p-value do I implement my FMEA?  Or can I just assume things have improved and go right to my CIEIOh!”

Ken Feldman
    Participant

I definitely believe that there is a jokester amongst us who searches for old posts and replies to the oldest ones he can find just to get us riled up. 

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The forum ‘General’ is closed to new topics and replies.