iSixSigma

2 proportion testing

Six Sigma – iSixSigma Forums Old Forums General 2 proportion testing

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Participant

Can you use a 2 proportion test when dealing with non-standard ratios like productivity?  When I look at the formula, it appears to apply to binary situations only (defect/non-defect). 
    Can you look at units of output / work hours using such a test?  Would a two-sample t work here since both nuemerator and denominator are essentially continuous (units of output will be in the 1000s)…Thanks!

Darth
    Participant

Does your conclusion regarding the null change if you use one or the other? You can certainly make a case of using continuous/continuous as a continuous variable but will you use the average of that ratio and s.d. of that ratio in your t test calculation? Then again, units produced in your numerator are really discrete and not continuous. So, lots of things to consider. Bottom line is whether you take the same action or not.

Obiwan
    Participant

I tried to resist this statement, as I think Darth answered the question, but I can’t…just because your output units are in the 1000’s does NOT make that continuous data…
    And if you are limiting time to “buckets” of 1 hour intervals, you have made it discrete as well!
    Chi squared test anyone?
    Obiwan

Participant

Thanks Darth. 
    And Obiwan, it was understanding as I read through prior threads and talked to more experienced practicioners, that the simple distinctions offered in LSS BB courses for continuous vs. discrete data are not always such “cut and dried” issues.  I have heard of 10 point Likert scales being analyzed as continuous data, minimum levels of distinct categories being used to define when to use parametric hypothesis testing, etc.  So any if I am misinformed, I would appreciate a clarification….thanks!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The forum ‘General’ is closed to new topics and replies.