iSixSigma

3 sigma six sigma etc etc

Six Sigma – iSixSigma Forums Old Forums General 3 sigma six sigma etc etc

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author

melvin
    Participant

I have recently undertaken a green belt course at a local University, it was an excellent course.

Going over the notes, I think I either missed a session or the facilitator was confused.

A simple question, why is six sigma a better performance than say 3 sigma, I know it is but can’t reconcile 6 std deviation variance to be better than 3 std deviation variance.  I KNOW what I have just written is wrong but thats what my notes say.   Thanks for the assistance in advance.

Mikel

Wow, sounds like an excellent course to me.

Art
    Participant

Sure Does Stanley! – Maybe your highness could even volunteer to be a guest speaker!!  If u don’t have anything nice to say…….you know the rest.

Hi to the cats!

Peace out,

Art

Mikel

Hi Artey,
    Long time.
    Maybe you want the guys question
    What, you don’t know the answer?
    Figures.

Art
    Participant

Well Stanley my boy, perhaps it has something to do with number of defects or somthin’ like that?  Your smarter than the rest of us, we all know that.  Good luck in the dungeons and dragons tourney and with the courtship of your on line girlfriend.

PS – I am a huge fan! 

HF Chris
    Participant

Stan,
    If you had 99% of the people who are attracted to you in one room, how many rejects would be there? If you increased your measurement area to a higher sigma which placed more people in the room that are attracted to you, how many rejects would there be?
    Chris 

Mikel

Good to see you know how to spell attact.
    Good question. I suspect they are all rejects.

CT
    Participant

Bob,
       I see you have been caught in what appears to be a lovers quarrel here. So I’ll answer your question. Sigma level represents Parts Per Million Scrap. 6 Sigma represents 3.4 PPM, while 3 Sigma Represents 66,807 PPM. You must have missed day one in your class, or your professor shouldn’t be teaching.
     GOOD LUCK.
    CT

Mikel

CT,
    Bob  thinks he attended an excellent course bt doesn’t understand the basic premise. He missed more than a day or it wasn’t excellent.
    He needs more than the understanding of a z value of 1.5 and 4.5.

CT
    Participant

Stan,
       Agreed, just gets a little tiring sometimes reading the exchanges yourself, JoeBB, and others leave on here. I would like to think it is all in good fun, but I really dont think it is, I really dont think this is the place for it. Sarcasim is one thing, and everyone here obviously likes a good heated debate, but the name calling, bashing, and belittling of posters is purely adolescent. But I know you guys dont think much of me either, so I leave it at that.
    CT

Mikel

Agreed.
    have I ever said anything negative about you?

Mike Carnell
    Participant

Bob,
    Let me give you the theory. It doesn’t mean I am endorsing it or not endorsing it.
    If I set up a process where I have six std dev between the closest spec and the mean in a short term measurement then the process will run in the parts per billion. The controversial 1.5 sigma shift kicks in over the long term and may reduce that capability to 4.5 sigma or 3.4 ppm.
    That is the theory. I have no interest in getting into any discussion about the 1.5 sigma shift, if I do or do not believe it, etc. It is a waste of time.
    I do agree with Stan – this is a basic piece of understanding for the methodology. This is not a piece they should have missed.
    Just my opinion.
    Good luck

CT
    Participant

Stan,
    Not that I recall, directly, no. I was just pointing out that Bob, although had a pretty elementary question, didnt deserve the exchange that was posted.
    CT

Mikel

CT,
    Good. I am usually selective in those I overtly offend and I could not recall thinking you were one I needed to offend.

CT
    Participant

Stan
    As much as I question your motives, I cant help but admire your sense of humor.
    CT

Ben Royal
    Participant

Bob,
    Sigma represent the variation in a process in relation to the customer’s specs. If your process performs at a six sigma level, its variation is so small that the product (or service) is 99.9997% defect free.
    Your class handouts may include a sigma conversion chart that shows the defects per million for 1, 2, 3 etc. sigma. My chart I shows that a 3 sigma process has a yield of about 93% defect free.
    If you have a six sigma process, it means you can squeeze 12 standard deviations in between the customer’s upper and lower spec limits (six SDs from the mean to the closest spec limit). The more standard deviations you can squeeze in, the less likely it is that your process will make product that falls outside the customers spec limits, especially if the process mean is centered in the middle of the specification.
    But even if the process isn’t centered, with 12 standard deviations to play around with, it is very unlikely it will make bad parts. So in this case, six is better than three.
    Hope this helps some.

Anakin
    Participant

Bob,
    1. Draw a normal distribution (bell curve).
    2. Draw a line down the middle (the mean).
    3. Draw two lines, one 2 sd above and one 2 sd below the mean.
    4. Within this range is 95% of the data (this represents your successful items).
    5. Now draw two lines, one 3 sd above and one 3 sd below the mean.
    6. Within this range is 99.73% of your opportunities (again, your successful items).
    From the “Mortimer-Inchobod-Marker” school of statistics this picture should convey the idea as well as any.  Please pay no attention to the language regarding long-term, and short-term variation on this site or the speak of any shift.  From your description of your instructor it would seem that these concepts are foreign (as they probably should be).

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The forum ‘General’ is closed to new topics and replies.