iSixSigma

5 Whys / 2 Hows

Six Sigma – iSixSigma Forums Old Forums General 5 Whys / 2 Hows

This topic contains 14 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  Marc Richardson 17 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author

Dor Marchan
    Participant

Hi,
    I’m 2 months now in my first work and my boss wants me to research about corrective actions. And I really  need a lot of help and informations.
    Anyway, can someone tell me what does “5 whys / 2 hows” exactly mean? Where and when do we apply it? How do we apply it? Is there any special technique/method for this?
    I truly appreciate your warm and kind response.
    Thanks in advance!
    Regards,
    Billie B. Com

Marc Richardson
    Participant

The 5 why’s typically refers to the practice of asking why the failure has occurred five times in order to get to the root cause of the problem. No special technique is required. An example is in order:
    You are on your way home from work and your car stops:

-Why did your car stop? Because it ran out of gas.
    -Why did it run out of gas? Because I didn’t buy any gas on my way to work.
    -Why didn’t you buy any gas this morning? Because I didn’t have any money.
    -Why didn’t you have any money? Because I lost it all last night in a poker game.

I hope you don’t mind the silly example but it should illustrate the importance of digging down beneath the most proximate cause of the problem. Failure to determine the root cause assures that you will be treating the symptoms of the problem instead of its cause, in which case, the disease will return, that is, you will continue to have the same problems over and over again.
    Also note that the actual numbers of why’s is not important as long as you get to the root cause. One might well ask why did you loose all your money in the poker game last night?

Marc Richardson

Sr. Quality Assurance Engineer

Kelly Maidman
    Participant

Good analogy Marc! 
    (How have you been, anyway?   Great news for Kay, huh?)
    I would add that the original poster may be mixing the “5 Why’s” with the “5W’s/2H’s” tool for initial defect analysis:
    Who
    What
    When
    Where
    Why
    How
    How Much/Often
    -Kelly

Adam L Bowden
    Participant

Hi kelly,
    You know –  the Mark Richardson we know denies all knowledge of “iSix Sigma” so it leads me to suspect that there are 2 Mark Richardson’s out there that are also Senior QA people – scary if its true Hu – work out the probability of that happening.
    5 Whys – great tool – just be cautious of going down the wrong track – get data to support your why’s.
    Adam

Adam L Bowden
    Participant

FYI – Mark,
    You know –  the Mark Richardson we know denies all knowledge of “iSix Sigma” so it leads me to suspect that there are 2 Mark Richardson’s out there that are also Senior QA people – scary if its true Hu – work out the probability of that happening.
    5 Whys – great tool – just be cautious of going down the wrong track – get data to support your why’s.
    Adam

Kelly Maidman
    Participant

hmm…Thanks for the info.
    sorry Marc/Mark.  

Dave Doucet
    Participant

Mark
            Great example!! Well said, I’m an S.Q.A  in the auto industry seeking to learn more about pfmeas,ppm etc….. Would like to correspond with other  Quality people in all industries .  To share knowledge and experiences in different fields.
                                                      Thank you
                                                                 Dave  

Marc Richardson
    Participant

To set the record straight, my name is Marc with a c, not with a k, and I do not deny all knowledge of the existence of isixsigma, plainly, I couldn’t post here if I didn’t know about. For what it’s worth, I have recommended this sight to quite a few people.
    Marc Richardson

Marc Richarsdon
    Participant

OK. I see what happened. You know someone named Mark (with a k) Richardson and mistook me for him. No harm done. I’m just glad we got it straightened out.
    Kelly, looks like you’re right about the 5 W’s/2 H’s. You looked at it and saw one thing, I looked at it and saw another. In the end, we all benefit.
    Thank You,
    Marc Richardson
    Kelly, looks like you’re right about the 5 W’s/2 H’s. You looked at it and saw one thing, I looked at it and saw another. In the end, we all benefit.Thank You,Marc RichardsonSr. Quality Assurance Engineer

Kelly Maidman
    Participant

MarC,
    Adam was talking about “our” MarK, who is also a Sr. QA Engineer and BB.
    ;-)

Adam L Bowden
    Participant

Hi Marc,
    The Mark that Kelly and I know is at Honeywell Aerospace in Tucson and also works as a Sr. Quality Assurance Engineer and is trained as a BB.  So which industry do you work in – Aerospace also ??
    It would be great to hear from yyou.
    Best regards,
    Adam

Marc Richardson
    Participant

Hi Adam,
    That would be too much of coincidence, wouldn’t it? Actualy, I’m an automotive guy with many years in the seating industry and now a few more in electrical connectors for automotive, communications and computer application.
    Marc Richardson

David Doucet
    Participant

Marc Richarsdon
              I did mean to speak to you ,typo error when i wrote your name sorry. I am very interested in speaking to people in the quality field. I am a supplier quality analyst in the auto industry . If you know of any on-line quality discussion groups i would be interested .
                                                   Thank you
                                                             Dave

Dave Doucet
    Participant

Marc Richardson or Marc Richarsdon?

Marc Richardson
    Participant

Try this link. This group’s activity level goes up and down. It seems to be up right now.
    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&group=misc.industry.quality
    This link is to the Deming Electronic Network:
    http://deming.ces.clemson.edu/pub/den/
    An excellent source for information on understanding the nature of variation and how we should use that understanding to help us make the right decisions.
    Marc Richardson
    Sr. Q.A. Engineer

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The forum ‘General’ is closed to new topics and replies.