iSixSigma

6 Sigma

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Anand S C
    Participant

Hi,
    what is 10 sigma and is it possible ?
    Regards,
    Anand

Abul
    Participant

10 Sigma is Perfection, It means no scope of error.Not even 3.14 per billion  oppurtunity.
    Aeroplane Manufacturers follow 10 Sigma.
    Regards

Ropp
    Participant

I was under the impression the airline industry ran at 7 sigma.

Regards,

Dave

Six Sigma Shooter

I guess it depends on what you’re measuring.  If they are at 7 or 10 sigma, or whatever inflated sigma level you choose to pick, then why are so many air travelers unhappy with the airlines and their services?  If you say they are at 7 or 10 sigma because the plane doesn’t crash, I submit that you are taking a very limited perspective and one that only looks at the basic expected performance.  I think we need to look at more than just one aspect when deciding the sigma level for airlines, like the entire customer service experience from ticketing / booking, through arrival / check-in, service during the flight . . . you get the idea.  Taking all of the experience into account, as a customer, what would you judge the industry’s sigma level to be?  My guess would be 2 to 3 sigma, if that – and that’s on a good day.

Waste

The take off/landing sigma is at about 7 sigma. The timely arrival of luggage is between 2 sigma (United) and 3.5 sigmas (Southwest). The others are in-between. 98% of all luggage that did not arrive on time can be retrieved. Best way to ensure that your luggage arrives with you: Tip the guy who checks in your luggage.

Six Sigma Shooter

Yes – tipping for someone to do their job right is always a good approach.  I always give a tip to the Captain and First Officer and, so far, none of the planes I have flown on have crashed.  Works everytime!  Then again, there just might be some fallacy type thinking here?  Would love to see the data that supports your assumption that tipping equals your bags arriving at the right place and time.

Waste

The tipping is based on a Bayesean approach to probability. The arrival/take-off and timely delivery of baggage statistics are based on a frequency approach to probability. Thus my data are: every trip that I have made over many, many years … So far, so good for me.

Six Sigma Shooter

Following your analysis and data, I should have had luggage lost or delayed due to misrouting and poor handling throughout my multi-,millions of miles of air travel, since I do not use sky caps nor do I tip for baggage handling.  Yet, I have never had a piece of luggage lost or misrouted and only twice delyed in arrival due to connection problems.   Not a bad record for 42 years of air travel.  Maybe there is some post hoc fallacy thinking and luck of the draw taking place here?  Just my two cents worth.

Waste

Take a look at the Ancient Egyptian dices, they may give you an answer to your question.

Hogg
    Participant

When will all you numb skulls wake up to the fact that “sigma levels” are meaningless ?
    Estimating counts in the extreme tails of distributions is total nonsense.  Sigma is a measure of dispersion, or spread of data.  Sigma levels are like trying to predict the shape of a dog by counting the hairs on the tip of its tail.

M G
    Participant

He’s a bit emotional but he’s right.  All you can say is that there is 1 crash per 500,000,000 flights or whatever.  This has nothing to do with “sigma”.  “Sigma” cannot be estimated from such data.
    “Sigma level” has no meaning. 

Cruz
    Participant

Sam/Geoff,
    Phat and Pale are a fine example of everything that’s wrong Six Sigma. Can you imagine having to work with people like this?
    Cruz

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The forum ‘General’ is closed to new topics and replies.