iSixSigma

6 Sigma – Indicators

Six Sigma – iSixSigma Forums Old Forums General 6 Sigma – Indicators

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

MAP
    Participant

In the company that I work, we have been implemented 6 Sigma for about 2 years. Now, we would like to know which are the main indicators for tell us if 6 Sigma is been doing well or not.
    Anyone can help me? Thanks…

HF Chris
    Participant

Did your ROIC improve?

Chris

AB
    Participant

MAP,
    If your company has been running six sigma projects for 2 years, it is likely that when the projects are completed, there is some discussion around the result of the project. That would include topics like process improvements attained, additional opportunities identified, financial benefit, etc. The financial benefit, hopefully, is auditable. You can start with this information from all projects to track benefits.
    However, if your company has not been having a closing process on projects that involves a review of benefits and lessons learned, then you would likely have a very hard time proving six sigma has worked for your company, unless you can go back to the business case of why six sigma was introduced in the first place and present a comparison between then and now.
    If your company does not have the benefits tracking and also you cannot get your hands on a business case, then you can have a hard time making a case.
    Hope this helps

BTDT
    Participant

MAP:Go back to the implementation plan and look at the business issues that drove the initial roll-out. They should have been defined as a baseline. Measure them the same way to show the improvement.If you don’t have this data, then get rid of the people who implemented the program, and claim their salaries as a SS program benefit.BTDT

Mike Carnell
    Participant

MAP,
    BTDT gave you some good advice although I am a little surprised to see the strong stand on firing the implementors. I thought it was one of Stan’s responses when I first read it.
    After two years it seems odd that you would just now be interested in measuring the results. You really need to look at how you are running the program. This is where the difference between running projects and running a deployment shows up. This is why most project tracking software is inadequate to do the job of running a deployment. It has to begin before you even start a project.
    It starts with what you want to accomplish as a company. That has to be the test that a Steering Committee uses to select projects. Without that you will constantly be running pet projects rather than aligned projects. The financial analysis has to occur before the steering committee sees it because they are going to approve the expenditure of resources to accomplish a project. Even if there is no return in benefits then that needs to be a concious decision.
    Probably more than you wanted as an answer. Unfortunately a large number of deployments are in the same situation you are in. There is this mirage that appears before most people when they start a deployment around the benefits (read Mike Cygers bolg on pet peeves) and everyone wants to run around doing projects and using words like heteroscedasticity so everyone knows they are a BB. That isn’t what this is about. It is about building a program that delivers results and like the Six Sigma community likes to lecture the rest of their organization – you get what you measure and that includes your Six Sigma deployment.
    Just my opinion.
    Good luck

AB
    Participant

Mike
    You said “This is why most project tracking software is inadequate to do the job of running a deployment”.
    Sorry for omitting the context, but I just wanted to know, in your experience, which project tracking software has been most appropriate for tracking a six sigma deployment? I am curious as I have done quite a bit of work on project portfolio management.
    Thanks,
    AB

BTDT
    Participant

Mike:I could be more gentle, but get the feeling that the checks have been cashed and now MAP has been left holding the bag.It is one of my pet peeves about alignment of projects against program metrics and goals from the executive. MAP’s posting just punched one of my buttons.I have had my cup of coffee now and am more mellow.Cheers, BTDT

Mike Carnell
    Participant

AB,
    We originally used a product called Orchestra from Point Cross. It wasn’t a Six Sigma package it was a Program Management software.
    Our current customer opted for Instantis. We have worked with them pretty diligently since February and have a package that is doing a good job of getting Program controls in place. The good part is that you can set up accessfor different people in the company so it allows us to give the “C” level access to all types of data. That creates a behavior change in itself particularly if the software is giving them the management reports automatically.
    Regards

Mike Carnell
    Participant

BTDT,
    Sorry about the earlier comment but it just seemed really out of character for you.
    I couldn’t agree with you more about the alignment issue. At the risk of starting another one of these Forum wars this is what happens when you do a home grown deployment and hire a MBB that may have been a very successful MBB at mentoring and projects but unless that person has run a deployment particularly from scratch they frequently spin off somewhere.
    You see it in posts on here all the time – new deployment and we just want a quick hit – better to build a program that lasts and then you have created value for the company. Anything can be a quick hit if you work your butt off and pay attention.
    We have a project that turns over $3,000,000 a month in benefits and was a project nobody thought could be fixed and it was one of the first 5 projects out of the last(first) wave. The BB was not familiar with the technology (he was also an exceptional performer) and another consulting firm had worked on it for 3 years. When that one came it it gave the program credibility. Basically screw the fast hit – fix something that someone gives a s*it about.
    Now I gone and pushed my own buttons. Sorry about the rant. Looks like we are in alignment. Where was that coffee – decaf!
    MAP – unless someone did some work earlier and then put it on a shelf you probablyare going to struggle a bit. Just remeber that when you have dug yourself (or in your case someone else) into a hole the first step to getting out is to stop digging. Put some metrics in place now. 
    Regards

Bob Rome
    Participant

About 8 years ago, we used a program called PetMet, which was a Access based program written specifcally for Six Sigma project tracking.  It was kind of busy but I liked it.  If you took the time to input your details, it would actually generate your final report (for the most part).  Maybe some of the oldtimers may remember it.  I was with Invensys (Siebe) at the time and we eventually moved away from it for our own web-based system.  Did PetMet just die off or is it still around? 

AB
    Participant

Mike
    Thanks for sharing. I will check these packages out.
    AB

BTDT
    Participant

Bob:Bombardier used (uses) PetMetBTDT

Mikel

Hear, hear.
    I agree with Mike, I thought I had wrote that when I first read it.
    Forget the coffee until you’ve gone over all the dumb questions from now on.

Mikel

Darth,
    Before you correct me, I know it should have been written, not wrote.
    It horrifies me to think I sound like I come from Jacksonville or Knoxville.

Mike Carnell
    Participant

Bob,We did the Siebe deployment so we provided it to you. The company that created it is out of business but youcan contact Roxanne O’Brasky at ISSSP and she may know if it is still available.Regards

Mike Carnell
    Participant

AB,
    You’re welcome. You may find Point Cross a little pricey but remember it has a much broader application that Six Sigma (interface for SAP). The up side to Instantis is is is more reasonably priced and it will handle multiple initiatives i.e. tracking Kaizen events, JDI’s, etc.
    Regards

Bob Rome
    Participant

Yes, I remember Roxanne – met here once at Foxboro and spoke with her people monthly back then.  I was the APV Americas program coordinator/MBB (a.k.a. enforcer/reporting nazi) so I depended on PetMet quite a bit for mo. reporting.
    I’m doing the same for another multi-site company now and here I had our Lotus Notes guy write a database for our belts to use – kind of a PetMet light.  Does everything we need.
    Same issues though – you can have a functional, easy to use reporting system but it’s like herding cats getting everyone to update.
    Regards,
    Bob

Mike Carnell
    Participant

Bob Rome,
    Just a suggestion – create a dashbord for the C level guys that has the champions/Process Owners names. If they have gone over 7 days without updating color it red.
    The cats will tend to herd themselves.
    Regards

Roxanne

I’m not much for posting to these forums, so forgive me if my chat is out of usual character.   Hi Bob, it’s been a while, and I do remember you.  For those looking to understand opportunities for tracking tools,   the project tracking industry has come a long way since PETMET – a product that lived successfully with about 10 different company deployments.   PETMET was an access-based design with the need of data transfers to a repository; all robust products today are web-based.  The BMG ProjX software as well as the Instantis product were built out of the original design and information requirements of PETMET and with lots of customer experience and feedback.    Today, project tracking tools are better referenced as deployment information management tools (who needs what when and not all information is required and/or desired by everyone).   I’m happy to offer more insight, if interested. 

wtf

heteroscedasticity…….

AWESOME….i’m looking that up so i can use it today!
    thanks for the hot tip.  This word should satisfy them for a few days.
    last weeks word was “capability” (hey, i work in kentucky and like to start small)
    wtf

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The forum ‘General’ is closed to new topics and replies.