iSixSigma

6 Sigma Project in Sales Department

Six Sigma – iSixSigma Forums Old Forums General 6 Sigma Project in Sales Department

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

Waterland
    Participant

Hi,
    Recently, my company has implemented 6 Sigma organization. I ‘m in Sales department and my manager want me to do a sigma project in sales department. Can anybody tell me what project may I do in my department? Thanks for your advice and assisst.
    Regards,
    Valerie

indresh
    Participant

a few examples
    – effectiveness of retail communication
    – enhance retailer loyalty
    – call to conversion ration (specific to product) of the sales people
    now these are all inputs which effect sales. these are projects which have been closed in my organisation. need further details contact me on [email protected] and also mention what product you sell and what is the channel (retail, franchisee, mass distribution, direct etc.)
    several other projects were done for primary and secondary sales tracking and pushing the product enhancing sales
    rgds,

M.Rajinikanth
    Participant

hey , u can implement  six sigma methodology even in sales department.Identify which is critical to quality and for your customer .For eg:- Response time for giving quote or proposal can be one taken as a CTQ and try to implement six sigma methodology to reduce the response time with accurate data.

Marc Thys
    Participant

Valerie
    Although some good suggestions have been made in the other replies to your question, the first thing you need to do is ask your manager what his priorities are for improvement. Before jumping into any project you need to identify the need for doing it, and it needs to be aligned with the business priorities.
    If he is passing the ball to you to do this for him, then he is not doing his job as a project sponsor / champion!

Dick Lane
    Participant

personally, the first thing I would do are control charts of the performance of each sales person and the department.  Sales managers need to really grasp the concept of variation and how that includes quota performance.  Then I would interview each sales person and collect data on how many contacts they make, letters, calls, or whatever method you use (this is an outside sales force, for inside it would be different).  Then I’d crunch the data and make correlations to performance.  Do the people that make the most calls make the most sales?
    I also heard of a company that applied VSM and FMEA to the top sales people in the company.  Then they went out and interviewed the lower 50% of the companies sales people.  They found a tremendous difference and completely revampt their training program to encompass what they learned from the top sales people.

sathish chandran

Hi,
    you can think of the following projects.
    1) FMEA for evaluating a customer and classifying the customer.
    2) New case – conversion ratio
    3) Sales call to conversion hit rate.
    4) Increase knowledge base of sales person
    5) Competion account – pouching
    6) Increase / enhance old business
    regards
    sats

schunkelschorsch

Hi Valerie,
    There is a new book out which covers Six Sigma in Sales and Marketing a new way and introduces new concepts and tools (and “old” tools in a new format). There are examples, case studies, ideas how to launch internal projects as well as cross-organizational (together with the customer).
    I can let you know more if you are interested, don’t want to do promotion on this site.
    You can contact me here:
    [email protected]

Dean B
    Participant

Any study of the individual sales people and their performance needs to be done with care, because the very act of studying the wrong thing in the wrong way can lead to flawed management thinking, bad decisions and ineffective policies, such as manipulation of quotas, rewards, and support processes.
    Some sales management situations are naturally more “people equivalent” meaning the right (uniform) activity and skill, placed in any region or situation, predictably drives sales results. Not all sales management situations are this predictable however, nor ought they be. Many will find different sales skills fitting differently in different territories, and others will find their organizational decisions and supporting processes being the Red X. Most sales organizations will face a mix of home office practices, regional variations and varying salesperson strengths and weaknesses, all of which interact with eachother. Often these interactions are more significant than either part separately. In sales mangement you are usually studying a holistic organizism, not just a pile of disjointed parts that are easily manipulated, such as what might be found on an assembly line.
    I have consulted with many sales organizations that have been devastated by their management’s rush to False Attribution (blame) along with the dysfunctional thinking and policies that followed. In these instances, the fixes usually began with the sound holistic thinking in the minds of home office management followed by a realignment of central sales mangement processes (both aimed at better supporting the outside salespeople). Lastly, came the review of sales person performance. Usually by this point individual sales person issues tended to be the most minor and most easily corrected of the issues identified. 
    Salespeople are hunters, not assembly line workers. If one is not careful one can easily turn well cooridinated “wolfpacks” into “lone wolfs” who become “ordertakers,” “skimmers,”  and “credit takers.” Then you WILL need a six-sigma sales turnaround project.

Dennis L.
    Participant

What’s the name of the book and who is the author?

schunkelschorsch

Hi Dennis,
    Would love to place the info here but it is against the rules and will get deleted right away, so pls drop me a mail – [email protected]
    and I promise to reply to you ASAP.
    Have a good week!

Sinnicks
    Participant

Hi,
    I’m about to start a project that is looking at our conversion rate, for customer generated leads. i.e. customers that call us and ask about our products/services.
    Currently, our conversion rate is only about 25%, which for our business is low.
    I haven’t got into establishing what our actual defect is, but that is the general problem area.  May be something applicable to your organisation?
    It will will very $ tangiable, if we can demonstrate a lift to say 50% as a result of the eventual solution, this will be easily quantified in additional revenues to the business.
    Regards,
    Mark.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The forum ‘General’ is closed to new topics and replies.