iSixSigma

7 tools of quality

Six Sigma – iSixSigma Forums Old Forums General 7 tools of quality

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author

Pai
    Participant

Who advocated the 7 tools of quality ?

Marlon Brando
    Participant

The  JAPANESE

qualitycolorado
    Participant

To add to Marlon Brando’s note:The 7 tools were advocated by Dr. Kaoru Ishikawa. He packaged them together as the Seven Tools of Quality Control. He really only “invented” the Cause-and-Effect diagram, in its “fishbone” form (also known as the “Ishikawa” diagram in his honor). Cause-and-Effect diagrams can take other forms (like Tree Diagrams), and others were doing cause-and-effect analysis, but Dr. Ishikawa packaged this together with the other tools and pushed forward the fledging science of quality control.The 7 tools are the cause and effect diagram, check sheet, control chart, flowchart, histogram, Pareto chart and scatter diagram.
    … hope this helps ….
    Best regards, QualityColorado

Theo

“The seven QC Tools, if used skilfully, will enable 95% of workplace problems to be solved” – Kaoru Ishikawa 1989.
    He is right too !!!

Sloan
    Participant

As an exam bonus answer, you could mention that Shigeru Mizuno identified and promoted 7 NEW tools to supplement the old ones in 1978 in light of changes in the economic environment. The new tools are:
    Relations Diagram, Affinity Diagram, Systematic Diagram, Matrix Diagram, Matrix Data Analysis, Process Decision Program Chart and Arrow Diagram.

Reigle
    Participant

It was Dr. Harry and he actually advocated that there were 8.5 Tools of Quality.  I can provide his mathematical derivation if you wish.

Adam L Bowden
    Participant

Please post the 8.5 tools – I’m always looking for half of a tool :-)
    Adam

R Butler
    Participant

The 1.5 extra tools only apply if the “basic” seven are the normal ones.

Kulkarni

sir,
    i am Vikrant from India and doin my M.B.A and have just started learning about Six sigma. Iam doing a Yellow Belt Course and just wanted to know about the Quality tools and need some exaplanatoin on how to use these 7Quality tools.
    sir kindly guide me
    Your’s faithfully.
    Vikrant.

Marlon Brando
    Participant

They  are  called  the  “management  planning  tools”,but  unfortunatly  most  managers  are  ignoring  them??

Preethi
    Participant

the 7 tool is not enough for a quality managemnt it requires more detail information and six sigma can be a better tool…
    preethi

Shrinivas

One cannot compare 7QC tools with six six sigma. Because Latter is a methodology of business improvement in which the formers are used.

Pai
    Participant

post it on my e-mail..i want to i know about  8.5 quality tools ???????????
    Rajesh

K.M.Date
    Participant

To Dear All,
    I have been keenly observing the Tools/Methodology fight!
    Once the Management of the enterprise gets rid of the wrong strategy of ‘recognizing the value by brand-name’, the fight for brands like SS, TQM, etc. etc. will stop automatically. But I know, thats not going to happen, even in the distant future! So the skillful assemblers of knowledge-components, make merry for ever, by creating newer and newer brand (assemblying/re-assemblying old/new knowledge components) every couple of years, when organizations loose the charm of the existing product! 
    Merry Christmas to All
    K.M.Date

Marlon Brando
    Participant

The  seven QT are part of  the  SS Toolkit?

qualitycolorado
    Participant

Marlon,Think of the 7 Tools of Quality as part of the toolkit of the great-grandfather of Six Sigma.The Tools of Six Sigma were built on many predecessors, including the 7 Tools of Quality Control.Best regards,QualityColorado

Sloan
    Participant

Ah yes! The 1.5 tool shift! I forgot about that! One must not forget to take into account the 1.5 tool shift.

Adam L Bowden
    Participant

I’m still interested in hearing what the other 1.5 tools are … ?
    Regards,
    Adam

Six Sigma Shooter

Adam,
    The wonderful thing about the additional 1.5 tools are they can be anything you want them to be – kind of like the 1.5 sigma shift?
    Have a great Christmas, everyone!

Darth
    Participant

Adam,
    Just spoke with Reigle and this is what he said.  The eighth tool is the Spaghetti Diagram to help you figure out where you have been as you wander around in a daze attempting to make sense of the SS jargon.  The last tool is the half axxed use of hypothesis testing.  The .5 comes from the underlying assumptions of normality which the latest threads seem to have shredded.  Combine the 1.5 with the more well known 7 and you have the 8.5 tools of quality.

M G
    Participant

Good one Darth.
    …. but why does it cost $4K to be trained in 7 tools and $40K to be trained in 8.5 tools ?

Darth
    Participant

Excellent observation.  It is my understanding that the 10.0 shift in training costs is tied to the fact that someone, who shall remain nameless, has to pay off some debts, round up some new cattle, maintain a big boat and pay to have an entourage of worshipers.

M G
    Participant

Debts !?  I thought that when one found a goose that laid golden eggs, one didn’t have to worry about debts ? 
    Or was that a goose who found a golden egg ?

Darth
    Participant

More like shxxing on the golden egg that fed you and screwing over the goose as well.

Adam L Bowden
    Participant

:-)  as usual you make alot of sense – we really should emphasize the use of the Sphagetti diagram in BB training to help those poor “lost souls”.
    Give me a call when you get a spare 5 mins.
    Best regards,
    Adam

M G
    Participant

Darth,
    Are you an ex-employee of Harry ? 
    Sounds as though you may have some interesting stories to tell about gooses being screwed and cooked ?

Darth
    Participant

Never met The Man but am friends with those that have.

Just an Observation!
    Participant

“Never met The Man but am friends with those that have.”

Interesting, many of your comments and posts on this forum, bashing Dr. Harry, have been based on the friends you have, which one can conclude at one time were friends of Harry or at one time fed of his innovations? Interesting observation indeed!

“Friends like that, who needs enemies!” Thanks for sharing.
    Cheers!

Darth
    Participant

I disagree with your conclusions.  There have been many posts regarding Dr. Harry and the development and evolution of SS directly from those that were there at the time and had personal interaction and knowledge of his efforts.  Granted, the rest are heresay and less value should be put on those comments.

Marlon Brando
    Participant

I  suggest a  new  book to  reveal  all  the  secrets of  SS?
    Who should  write  it? 

Who?

You should!

Marlon Brando
    Participant

I  will  try?
    Thank  You

DXB
    Participant

There are also 7 New QC Tools:
    Relation diagram, Affinity Diagrams, System Diagrams, Matrix Diagrams, Matrix Data Analysis, PDPC Method, and Arrow Diagrams.
    (ref: The Seven New QC Tools, Practical Applications for Managers….by Yoshinobu Nayatani; 1984)

Vader

More tools don’t mean better quality. 
    Learning to use even one tool excellently is far more beneficial than using many tools poorly, as most people do. 

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The forum ‘General’ is closed to new topics and replies.