iSixSigma

Segmentation Vs Stratification

Six Sigma – iSixSigma Forums Old Forums General Segmentation Vs Stratification

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #32382

    Sunder
    Member

    “The words ‘Segmentation and ‘Stratification’ are related but there is a difference.”
    Statements like these create confusion. Further, most people use these terms quite interchangeably.
    Webster’s Dictionary defines these terms as under:
    Segmentation (noun) – Any of the parts into which something can be divided.
    Stratification (noun) – To form or lay down in layers or srata.
    Strata (noun) – A horizontal layer, as one of a number of layers of rock of the same kind.
    Can anyone please explain these terms in Six Sigma context prescisely? No generalizations please….

    0
    #86683

    Mike Nellis
    Participant

    I’ll take a stab…
    “stratified”- hiearchy example: the average yearly output of the plant is of a higher layer than the average yearly output of say, third shift or cell number 3 of 10.
    “segmented”- component of variation example: the total variation of a hole diameter can be “segemented” into various components. some (80%) of the hole diameter variation is attributed to spindle drift while the other variation (20%) is attributed to the drill wearing out.
    Hope this helps,
    -Mike 

    0
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The forum ‘General’ is closed to new topics and replies.